Sunday, February 13, 2011

I should have bought the extended warranty

This weekend my dishwasher, oven, stove, and washing machine all stopped working.
For two solid weeks, they worked amazingly well. Friday morning, they stopped.
First, the stove and oven. I walked into the kitchen at meal time, and there wasn't food ready and waiting. No yummy casseroles, warm cookies, or even a peanut butter sandwich for the little one. The burners were off, the oven cold and empty. I have checked back several times over the weekend, and there is no sign of improvement. Turning on the oven light didn't help, nor did placing the empty pots and pans on top of the range. I am out of quick-fix ideas.
Next, the sink and dishwasher. I used to be able to put dishes into the sink at various times throughout the day and by the time I went to bed, they had been moved to the dishwasher for cleaning, and by morning were all back in their rightful places in the cabinets. I have been dropping things into the sink all weekend and they are still there. Opening the door of the dishwasher didn't seem to help, except for letting the kids get their own dishes out more easily.
Finally the washer/dryer combo. The dryer has stopped spontaneously producing loads of clean laundry. The clothes hampers are filling with clothes and they are not being emptied into the washer while I sleep, and thus unable to be transferred to the dryer and made available for use.
The weekly vacuuming time for the rugs is fast approaching and I am afraid that my vacuum cleaner is going to follow suit and somehow refuse to do its job as well. And when the groceries run out this weekend, I suppose that the fridge and cabinets will also go on the fritz and not refill with food while I am in the shower or feeding the baby?
In a case of really poor timing, the above described appliance disasters all coincide with the departure of my mother. I am not convinced they are completely unrelated.
I should have signed up for the extended care plan.

3 comments:

Abs said...

Ha ha! I went into serious denial when my mum left too. Why can't they stay for a year right?

Candy said...

This was a wonderful article to read right after a long day at the office. If it makes you feel any better, we are delivering valentine goodness this afternoon.

Lauren in GA said...

You are clever, Jannet. I loved this.