Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Vacation?

I remember it was about mid-April when I started counting down the days until the end of the school year. Between doctor visits for everyone, soccer games, baseball practice, car repairs, school, preschool, prek registration, summer activity sign ups, a new church calling, and the normal daily to-do lists, I was feeling completely worn out. I couldn't wait for summer break to finally get a chance to rest. To have time to catch up on household chores, forgotten craft projects, and neglected family time. We would sleep late, spend quality family time together, take afternoon naps, visit the library and read great adventure stories, take daily field trips to parks, pools, museums, movies, and county events.

What was I thinking?

We have been out for a month, and are just as busy ever! Except now we get to do it all in the suffocating summer heat without school to keep the kids while I run around. It never actually stops, does it? There will always be something no matter what.

However, we are keep busy with things we want to do as well as the things we have to do, so it is an enjoyable busy.

The kids finished their swimming lessons and did amazingly well. If we are all in a life raft together and we all fall out, one of them will probably end up saving me. We spent every morning and afternoon for two weeks at the pool. I am happy to report that no one drowned, got lost, threw up, convinced me to buy the $5 muffins or smoothies at the snack bar, or got a sunburn.

We made a trip to our old haunt, the library. I missed that place but we could never seem to fit it into our school year schedule. We returned with a vengeance, filling the stroller with books we all just had to read this week. Lenna made her selections with enthusiasm and was happy she didn't have to adhere to the "just one at a time" rule that she disliked so much at the school library. Surprisingly, we all finished our stack and went back for more the next week. I signed everyone up for story time, but unavoidable events (car issues) have kept us from attending yet.

Another great thing about the library is that it shares a lot with a nice park, complete with duck and turtle pond, walking path, playground, and splash fountains. We took a picnic lunch on our library trip and spent the afternoon eating, playing, and getting wet.

Three different theaters in our area offer a free summer kids movies program, where they show kids movies free of charge each week all summer long. Between the three different theaters we will be able to see a movie each afternoon three days a week. A great place to keep cool on hot afternoons!

This week we became official southerners as I sent my kids to vacation bible school this week. After our last two trips to the grocery store left me feeling less-than enamored with my lovely children, I needed a break from all the togetherness. Lenna is returning the rest of the week while Andy opted to stay home after an unfortunate run-in with "a mean kid in a hat that kept growling at me and hitting me."

I took advantage of the few kid-free hours to go work out at the Y. Rebecca usually will give me about 40 minutes before she decides she is done with the nursery and starts crying loud enough for them to page me back. I spent some time on the treadmill and trekking machine. After 30 minutes my clothes were wet, my breathing labored, my legs were jello, and I had burned a lousy 100 calories. I came home and made salad for dinner. I am never eating french fries again. Or cake. Or cheeseburgers. I might just give up food altogether.

Finally, we are very busy getting ready to depart tomorrow on a three-week long vacation that will take us from one end of the country to the other (And to all of you would-be home robbers out there who are reading, don't get any ideas. Mike will be staying behind thanks to night classes and his new job, where he has to earn his vacation time over again).

We will start with a road trip to Nana's house in Maryland, where we will visit with Mike's parents and siblings for a few days. We are sharing the first leg of the drive with some friends that will allow for kid swapping and a fun night in a hotel.

Then we will board a plane to the west where we will meet up with parents and grandparents and siblings for a week-long camping adventure at the beach. Northern CA and Oregon beaches with cliffs and trees and icy water. No sunbathing or swimming! We will however enjoy a nice break from the GA heat and explore some giant redwood forests.

We will finish with a week at Grandma's house visiting and playing, then fly back to Maryland. Mike will meet us there and spend the holiday weekend with his side of the family, and will help us drive home again.

It should be very exciting and keep us busy. If anyone has hints on logging about 40 total hrs in a car and a cross-country plane flight with three children by myself, feel free to share them here.

If we make it back alive, we will continue the summer fun with horse camp for Lenna, gymnastics mini-camp for Andy, movies, swimming, picnics, a weekend trip to the beach, a visit to the zoo, dental visits, school shopping, and hopefully we will eventually get to those afternoon naps!

Lots of posting to do to catch up but I have a feeling I won't get that far. I will get to them eventually. If I ever get out of this chair I have about 6 loads of laundry and a master packing list to do for tomorrow's departure. Wish me luck!

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I love that your kids are such great swimmers. I need to put my boys in lessons. I want someone to save me if the life raft tips over.