"What?" "Huh?" "I didn't hear you!" "Can we turn it up please?"
Those are the most common words that I hear from my Andy. Well, that and "No!" but I am trying not to focus on the negative here.
I took him to the doc today to get his hearing checked. He failed. He really can't hear me and is not just being annoying or defiant or ignoring me. Good to know!
He has fluid in his ears. It has been there a while. Hopefully antibiotics and sudafed will help drain everything out so he can return to voluntarily ignoring me and can turn the tv down a few notches in the mornings.
Anyway, here's my thing: Why? Why does he have an ear infection nearly every time I take him to the doctor, even when he isn't sick? Why did they have him on three different allergy medicines for two years when he actually isn't allergic to anything? What is making him cough, wheeze, snore, drain, and sniffle all the time? Will ear tubes and anti-inflammatory meds and a tonsillectomy really help or can I throw it in with the allergy diagnosis as more useless treatment?
Ok all you medical people out there, here is your puzzle: 4 yr old boy with night time cough and wheezing and snore, itchy eyes, runny nose, post nasal drip, enlarged adenoids and tonsils, chronic ear infection/fluid build up, recurring sore throat, and cute dimples.
We saw ENT who prescribed flonase and possible surgery. Allergist tested for everything, all were negative, prescribed singulair. Audiologist will re-test in month after drainage issue resolved and possible tubes. Pediatrician gave us antibiotics and decongestant and said she had no idea what else it could be.
Your turn, go! I am awaiting a diagnosis and will send you a check for the co-pay.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
What?
Posted by Jannet at 2:24 PM
Labels: Andy, Being the Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Here is my late and humble RN opinion: Tubes are great, not a cure-all, but better than round after round of antibiotics. Say goodbye to the tonsils, it will help with the breathing, sleeping,and definitely the sore throat, etc. As for the post nasal drip... it could be so many things! Most likely its an allergy, those tests aren't 100%, I see no harm in trying singulair for a few weeks just to see if it makes a difference. Spencercito was always congested when he ate wheat, so who knows. (By the way-he is now testing negative for wheat allergy, celiac, etc. We are doing a food challenge currently) Good luck! I hope something works or maybe he'll just grow out of it?
Since I'm not a doctor...I only spend all my time at the hospital, lately...I don't really know...BUT...it sounds like he needs tubes in his ears. That helped my brother when he was having a lot of these same symptoms.
Post a Comment