Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cleaning House

The past two weeks have been busy here. Room by room, I am conquering the clutter!
First, I helped Andrew clean his room and make sure every toy had a "home". Together we filled one garbage bag with trash and broken toys, and another with toys to "share" and donate to goodwill. All his toys finally fit in the storage he has. After that, I moved on to Lenna's room. After a thorough cleaning, we sent another bag to the trash can, set one aside to give away, and filled a tote with outgrown clothes. After everything was put safely away in a moveable container, Andrew and Lenna traded rooms. Lenna is now in the smaller room, with her desk, book shelf, and craft supplies taking up most of the storage. Most of her birthday presents this year are going toward turning her room into a fairy garden.
Andrew moved to the bigger room and bunk bed, where there is plenty of room for his toys and car rug. And he can play Batman while scaling the side of the bed, much to my horror. I considered taking the ladder off and making him sleep on the floor. Over the next month Rebecca will move in to share the toys and learn to sleep in the toddler bed. Hopefully that will be soon enough that we don't have any issues when her little sister arrives and takes over her current room and crib.
Today I did a wardrobe overhaul on my clothes, since I had outgrown most of the ones in my closet. Maternity and winter stuff in, just about everything else out. I filled a tote with clothes to reclaim when I have a flat stomach, and four garbage bags with clothes that have been outgrown or sitting in my closet for two years without ever coming out. One bag was just shoes I never wear anymore. Sadly, I still fill an over-the-door rack with some to spare. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? Tomorrow I will have everything put away- I am so excited to see the erosion of Mt Washmore in my bedroom!
Next up- the living room book cases and VHS tapes in the entertainment center. Then the giant pile of craft supplies in the dining room (I am pretty sure we have a million crayons. Anybody know what to do with a million crayons?) that need to be sorted and organized and toddler-proofed.
Finally, I am one amazon order and a bike short of being completely done shopping for Christmas and birthdays this year. Hooray for me.
Last week I spent the week house-bound with a sick and cranky toddler and felt hopeless and overhwlemed. Thanks to some prayers in my behalf, some visits from friends, and a few good long walks, I am feeling much better. Today, there is a light. I really am beginning to think that every bag or box I get rid of not only makes my house lighter, but my heart as well! Of course, having the quarantine removed and being able to get out of the house with my now spot-free and smiling toddler helps, too.

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Maybe you could melt down the million crayons and make a giant crayon...and sell tickets for the out of towners to come see it during masters week.

...just trying to help.

I am so sorry that you felt hopeless and overwhelmed. I truly am. If you ever need, please call me. I am glad you are feeling better this week.