Tuesday, January 29, 2008

getting dressed

This morning Andrew dressed himself. Normally, he dawdles around until it is time to go and I just pull things on him at the last minute. This morning he awoke a little early and asked if he could play. I explained that if he ate his breakfast and put on his clothes quickly, he could play until it was time to leave and I wouldn't interrupt him at all, but only if he was dressed and fed. I laid out his clothes on the bed- right side out, in order of placement, buttons ready and told him to to eat, then go to his room and get dressed. I assumed that this would be enough but I guess I left out an important step- take off the clothes you are wearing!

I came out of the bedroom to find him happily playing cars, completely dressed to the shoes. Hooray! But under his jeans and t-shirt were poking out his thermal PJ's. He put on everything I laid out for him, right on top of everything he was already wearing.

He refused to change, and since I promised not to bother him until it was time to go, I had to leave him that way. I sent a very warm little boy off to preschool that morning. I warned his teachers he had on an extra layer, inside out socks, and no coat- so if he was sweating or flushed that maybe they would want to help him remove a layer but he finished the day just fine. He thought it was hilarious that at the end of the day when I told him to put on his PJ's, all he had to do was take off his clothes and he was ready.

At least he was cooperating, even if it was on his own terms! I will take whatever I can get.

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

That was totally,"laugh out loud funny" as they say!!! He was right...you didn't specify to remove the pajamas prior to getting dressed!!! :)Silly, you!

I am glad he didn't collapse from heat frustration!