Last week it snowed in Georgia. My first thought was "well, H*** really has frozen over!" But it was a fleeting thought, I don't really think that little of Augusta. It has its good points, especially during the winter months.
Anyway, I of course had to send the kids out to play in it. It was 730 at night, so they had their pjs on but I didn't think a little time out would hurt anything. They ran around on the deck waving their arms and trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. At this point it was really just freezing rain, not sticking or anything but I assumed that it was as good as it would get. They came in from their snowy adventure, changed into dry clothes and were settling in for bed when I looked out and saw real snowflakes falling. Of course, I couldn't let this moment pass either, so I sent them back out into the real snow- still in pjs. Lenna was out there in Mike's old t-shirt, rain boots, and her unzipped jacket. A few minutes later the snow was still falling and sticking enough to make snowballs. I sent them in to put on clothes (I figured that pants would be a good starting point when trying to avoid hypothermia) and mittens.
We played outside for another 40 minutes making tracks in the snow, catching snowflakes on our tongues, and having a snowball fight. I laughed so hard at the look of indignation on Andrew's face when I threw a snowball at him. He was shocked that his mother would do such a thing. But Lenna jumped in and started flinging snow, too. Poor Andrew had no dexterity in his mittened hands, so he followed me around snatching up any snowballs I formed so he could chuck them at his sister. When they started getting good at hitting their targets (eachother) we decided to move on to shooting baskets with them instead. The only one who didn't enjoy the snow was Triscuit, who took up residence onthe sofa as soon the door cracked open. I wished that Mike could have been home for all the excitement- he is always lot of fun at things like that.
Our winter wonderland didn't last, however. The snowflakes soon turned to rain and began to melt away our ammunition. I brought the kids in and went about getting them into bed again (2 hrs late!). The next day everyone looked tired- the kids in the carpool line at Lenna's school and the preschoolers in my class. The every lucky kid in town had stayed up late to see the snow. I guess according to the locals, that it only snows every five or ten years, so it was worth staying up late for.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Wacky weather
Posted by Jannet at 11:08 AM
Labels: Andy, Being the Mom, Lenna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
We were so thrilled to actually get snow, too!
You complimented me on my blog but you are HILARIOUS, too girlie!
I loved the "H***" really has frozen over! I laughed heartily at that one :)
You are a cool mom letting your kiddos play in the snow! By the time we realized what was going on outside...it was basically over. Adam was crushed...I posted about it on the post entitled, "Disgruntled"...
I also laughed at you saying how Andrew was indignant that you would, "do such a thing" like throw a snowball at him !
You are a great writer, too...I loved how you said the rain came and melted, "away our ammunition".
I am loving your blog!
Post a Comment