Today's Wordfull Wednesday topic:
Being Equal Partners, What does that mean to you? "In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners." (Family Proclamation, paragraph 7)
I couldn't think of anything witty or entertaining to say about this. I really didn't want to be introspective and write about how much more I could be doing of "my fair share" or all the times I felt like I was over worked but brought back to reality by my tired husband and my messy kitchen on the days I spent out with a friend specifically avoiding the dishes. I didn't want to make a list of how we divide the responsibilities around here because I was afraid of whose would be longer. If mine was, I might just let it go to my head and get lazy. If his was, I might have to actually do more and don't think I could handle that either!
Instead, I have been paying attention this week to some ways we help each other as partners. Here are a few examples that illustrate what our marriage partnership is all about.
I usually do the meal planning and cooking because if we waited for Mike to do it, we wouldn't eat until bed time. On Tuesday, when I called on the way home from the pediatrician and said, "We all have strep, even me and the baby," he didn't hesitate to pick up the prescriptions on his way home and take care of dinner even though he had just put in 10 hours at work.
We usually tag-team bedtime, but I do it all during "24" and he takes over during "The Amazing Race."
Mike gets a rash from weed whacking and mowing the lawn, and I have allergies to grass and flowers. So we pay someone to do it.
He goes to work every day to earn money even when the crying baby kept us up all night and when he really doesn't want to. I try not to spend it frivolously. He spent three years in night school to earn a degree so he could better provide for our family. I was basically a single parent on the weekdays while he was at work and school and I didn't complain too much about it, except on scout nights.
When we were buying our first house and needed more income, I got a part time job and Mike did his own laundry on the days I never got around to it and never complained about the days when he couldn't see the living room rug.
The kids know that a "No" from Mom means just as much as a "No" from Dad so there is no point in getting a second opinion.
He drove to ballet practice while I coached soccer.
When the home teacher left last night at 6:45 and Mike was searching the kitchen for leftovers and realized that there wasn't even firsts made yet, he went out and turned on the grill while I cut fruit and we had dinner ready in 20 minutes.
And the greatest illustration of equality in our marriage this week- I voluntarily handed over my Khol's cash so he could go get a killer deal on new shoes today while I stayed home with the sick baby, instead of socking it away for a retail therapy session next week.
Want to read more? Head over to Chocolate on my Cranuim for Wordfull Wednesday!
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Equal Partners
Posted by Jannet at 11:41 AM
Labels: Jannet, Mike, Wordfull Wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
What a great thing to focus on all you do to help each other. It is all about perspective, isn't it?
You make a great team.
I would have complained on Scout night, too. Oy.
Post a Comment