Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bring on the Birthdays

I'm going to turn 30 this weekend. 30. The big 3-0.

Scary huh? I'm trying to think of a momentous way to celebrate. Any ideas?

I'm too tired to be sentimental and introspective and do the life and goals evaluation. I will save that for another time. Like, next year.

This week, my little boy turns 5. I hope that I will be able to carve out a few hours of time to tell you his birth story. No, not that one. The only people who like that story are women about to deliver or who just delivered and are swapping L&D stories. I will tell you about how his first priesthood blessing and miracle of healing were in-utero, how the earth shook on the day he was born, how I am convinced he has a very busy and exhausted guardian angel, and of course how much we love him.

I will find those hours sometime between now and Tuesday morning, when I will be expected to deliver 20 character-themed (which has just hours ago changed from Ben 10 to Star Wars, good thing I procrastinated buying the decorations) brownies to preschool, bake and decorate a similarly themed cake, and transport it and a pile of freshly-wrapped presents to Chuck E Cheese for dinner and games, and have everyone home and in bed by 8.

Into newly rearranged beds, I hope. Because Andy's birthday was the deadline I set for myself way back at the beginning of summer to have all the bedrooms moved around and organized. I am no where near being done, but Lenna is holding me to it. I guess tomorrow will be a late night.

Then two weeks later we are off on our Florida trip. The next weekend is Halloween, the next is Rebecca's first birthday, the next is Lenna's birthday and baptism, followed by Thanksgiving and our 10th anniversary, and then Christmas and New Year's and the year is over already and the leaves haven't even started changing!

I hope the next 30 years pass more slowly than the last. I'm not ready yet!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday! Advice? Ideas? I just tried not to think about when I turned 30 last month... I like the plan to wait until next year to ponder and set new goals! Sounds like some busy months coming up!

Lauren in GA said...

Well, first I have to tell you, "Happy Birthday!!!" and Happy Birthday to Andrew. I can't wait to hear his story.

I can't even imagine trying to change bedrooms and getting completely organized....you are my hero...

I say take a long birthday nap. You deserve it!