Today Lenna and I were watching old tv while folding the laundry. We started off with some classic Little House on the Prairie. We agreed the Nellie and Mrs Olson are snobby. And Lenna is waiting for her hair to grow long enough to put in braids. And Mom, do you still have that old pattern for the nightgowns with matching nightcaps? Just a fun future project.
Then 7th Heaven came on. The very first episodes from the first season. She thinks Simon is funny. I thought it would be pretty harmless. But I forgot that the first episode is when Lucy gets her first period, and the second is when Matt brings home a pregnant teen for dinner.
Not exactly the talks I thought we would have over laundry on a Monday afternoon. However, it really wasn't so bad. Not as awkward as I thought it would be when I pictured "the talk" starring her as a young teen. We covered a lot of it already anyway when I was pregnant with Becca, others when she went with me to buy "feminine supplies" about a week ago. I guess it was just time. Hopefully it is just info she can tuck away for a few years to have at the ready when she needs it, many many many years from now. I'd much rather she get it from me than an impersonal gym teacher in a health class or too-cool kid on the playground. So that is that. One less thing to worry about on the parenting to-do list.
Now if I could just teach Andy to aim, wipe, and wash his hands, I would feel so much better about things. And I am sticking to Strawberry Shortcake for the rest of the day.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Caution regarding tv you watched as a kid
Posted by Jannet at 12:33 PM
Labels: Being the Mom, Jannet, Lenna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am still trying to get everyone to improve their aim around here. It's just sick and wrong what happens in my bathrooms.
Your story is so cute. My 3 grown daughters love to sit and make fun of our "talk." I tried so hard to do it right and accurate. some of the things that they say they heard are crazy. Like coming out of the belly button?? I should have recorded it to defend myself.
You are such a great story teller! I love reading your blog!
Post a Comment