Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Joyful

I am happy to report that I have been anti-depressant free for over a month now.
The first week or two was hard, but now things have settled and I feel just as "normal" as before, with a little bit more variance in my emotions (which actually is a good thing). I love being able to get all emotional over things, feel the Spirit again at church meetings, or laugh out loud when I read something funny. All things that I couldn't do before. However, even that was better than just sitting there feeling apathetic and numb and sad and angry all the time. Of course, I have an appointment with my doctor for approximately two weeks post- partum, just in case. A relapse would stink.
Anyway, this is my "be happy without meds even when life is hard and sucks sometimes" plan. I thought I would share it with you. Just a few little tips I have gathered from various sources such as my doctor, magazine articles, priesthood blessings, and personal experience.

Things to do daily:
PRAY- lots. No explanation needed really.

GO OUTSIDE- fresh air and sunshine make all the difference!

EXERCISE- 30 minutes of walking, aerobics, yoga, etc.

TAKE A VITAMIN- because I still don't like lettuce

TALK TO A GROWN UP- everyone needs a break from Elmo and diapers and crying

WRITE- journal, blog, email, whatever

SCRIPTURES- I have been following a new blog that has issued a 5-page-a-day challenge, complete with a reading chart, motivational reminders, and even a give away this week. I found her blog when she posted several ways she is teaching her young children about the Family Proclamation. Really good stuff!

SERVE- my calling, visiting teaching, my kids, whatever.

FINISH- something that has a lasting, tangible result, that I can check off a list or show to someone else because I need to feel like I am doing a little something that won't be undone in a few hours or days.

So there's my plan. What do you think?

2 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

This is a GREAT plan! I'm sure you'll do well! I have a lot of the same things on my to-do list! :) Thanks for your comments and support! Everyone needs it!!

Lauren in GA said...

I love your plan!

I am very happy for you...how awful to never really be able to laugh or feel the Spirit. Hopefully there won't be a relapse.