Sunday, July 20, 2008

A busy day

So nothing new or exciting to share today. No profound thoughts or amusing anecdotes. Just some updates for the concerned family out there. I do have some great pics of Andy that he took on his fishing trip that I will upload later today and share with you, so there is something to look forward to! Until then here is the news from my weekend.

Mostly, my car is dying. I am so sad. I have some sort of coolant leak- I have to refill every week instead of every six months like when it was new. Hopefully it is something easy and cheap to fix.
Thursday I woke up to a flat tire. I got a ride to work, then Mike came home and put on the spare and we took it to walmart. They took out the offending screw, patched the tire and sent us home.
I woke up Friday and it was flat again. The very intelligent workers there fixed only one hole, but left two others. I guess you get what your $10 buys you, when everyone else charges $25. Mike was gone and I had two important appts to go to so I drove to the gas station on the flat (shh! Don't tell the car nuts, I know it was bad) and Andrew noted that the thump-thump of the flat sounded a lot like the thump-thump of the baby's heartbeat. I put some air in the tire and drove back to Walmart to make them fix it again, and ended up needing a new tire after all. The month that I really don't have $70 to spare is the time when everything falls apart! I keep waiting for another thing to break on it. I guess it is time to upgrade to a bigger car anyway!

I went to the doc yesterday and have gained five pounds! Probably closer to three, but I was wearing jeans and sneakers instead of shorts and flip flops so that helped. Other than that, everything is fine and normal. In fact the doctor told me I was medically boring. I guess that is a good thing. The fibroid tumor the tech saw was really nothing, and the pain I have been having in my stomach is the stretching of my ligaments as my tummy grows. He recommended a support belt and ice packs and some toning exercises to do before I have the next one. Since my stomach muscles were pretty much gone, I am popping out more and putting more strain on the connectors trying hard to hold things together. I suppose that is better than a tumor.
I had to take the kids with me because in all the tire excitement I forgot to find a sitter. Since I am medically boring I go to the family practice clinic where kids aren't viewed as walking pathogens as in the OB clinic, so it wasn't a big deal. Andrew was able to climb onto the table and measure my belly (right on time, 25cm) and Lenna got to use the Doppler to find the heartbeat. They were both very proud and it was so nice to not have to keep shh-ing them and pleading with them to get back in their chairs. I am going to request appts with that doctor every time.
I do have one assigned to me, but we have never met. You have to just see whoever is available and then the on-call doc delivers the baby anyway, so it really doesn't matter who you see in the end. The joys of military health care, but it is free. And in a year we will be worrying about co-pays and deductibles, so I should enjoy it while it lasts I guess.

I should get back into a routine and be able to catch up on our trip posts this week. I am finally starting to feel a little more in control of things, it only took about two weeks!

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Ohhhh...sorry, about your car. I am sad for you :(

I am so glad that you are medically boring! That is a great place to be!!

I got a good giggle at the, "walking pathogens" part ;)

Glad you are busy, and healthy, and medically boring :D