One of the things that I love about going "home" to family gatherings is all of the traditions. One of the traditions that we almost always honor is that of "Going to the lake." You can say that to anyone of the 50 people who were there and they all know what you mean- which lake (there are four nearby I can think of), which beach, which tables, etc. We always go to Eagle Lake.
The water is freezing, mostly fed by streams of melting snow from the nearby mountains. The drive up makes me throw up. The beach is muddy, littered with tiny shells and seagulls. The water is murky and the bottom alternates between slimy and rocky. The tables seem like a forever walk up a pine-needle covered beach. The beautiful mountain views are hidden this year by clouds of smoke from the numerous California wildfires. The wildflowers make me sneeze. The chipmunks steal your chips, and the bathrooms are dark and dirty.
So why do we come back, year after year after year? Because its a tradition! And everyone manages to have fun anyway!
Mike and I, with camera in hand.
Andy and Mike rinsing off after the sandcastle building.
A work in progress- adding the moat.
Pretty flowers, but they make me sneeze. Nothing worse than a runny nose on the beach....
What is a trip to the lake without a trunk load of junk food?
Lenna, smiling into the sun, with purple lips from the cold water.
Reinforcing the wall.
I believe I am related to all of these people in some way.
Andy and I calling it a day.
Andrew adding water to the castle moat.

The finished product- Ta-da!


2 comments:
That sounds really fun - the real draw to it is that you are all together =) Mike, Lenna and Andy did a very nice job on the sand castle!! What a great way to end your week! Love the pictures, too!!
I am laughing about all of the details like, freezing water, vomit on the windy drive, sneezing...you are truly true to your traditons...Bravo!
Did you ever hear Kristi Dawson say how she loved swimming in Idaho because the water was FREEZING and snow topped mountain fed...she said she loved it becasue she knew all germs and animal life in the water were dead. Are you ever afraid YOU will be dead, too? ;)
Post a Comment