Saturday, August 9, 2008

I wish I was a dentist, or an auto mechanic, or...

Wondering how we survived our crazy over-scheduled week? We didn't!

We ended up nixing about half the list. Well, I did. The kids were ready to keep going but I was worn out by Tuesday afternoon.

We did go school shopping- two pink sneakers, one pink dress, and one package of Hannah Montana underwear later, we were done. Except of course for the list of school supplies we got at open house, so it was back to the store for those. I was going to say the long list of school supplies, but after reading some of the others people have to deal with, I figured I was getting off easy with pencils, crayons, markers, and glue.

We did frequent the pool, where my children were so exhausted by Wednesday night they had to be towed from the slide pool by the life guard because they didn't have the strength to kick to the edge. That's when I knew we better slow down a little, and spent most of our remaining time at home. The zoo will have to wait!

We spent Thursday morning at the dentist. Hence the title. No cavities, just cleaning and a forecast for lots of expenses!
Andy needs sealants on 8 teeth at $50 each.
Lenna needs fillings on two molars, that somehow came out w/o enamel (? I blame Mike's side of the family) and needs 8 baby teeth removed so the permanent ones can grow in. Right now they are so crowded that the big teeth are pressing on so many little teeth, they are all caught up and just sitting there. Anyway, they will pull 4 at a time so she isn't completely toothless. So sedation, two fillings and four extractions cost $400. So four more out at the next visit, plus they want to put in a jaw expander for her upper jaw so her teeth have a chance to grow in w/o having to pull permanent teeth later, and the price for the fancy cemented on retainer is a lovely $800. All that is just our share, we actually do have dental insurance. They better enjoy chewing for the next two years, as they will be eating with our car fund and vacation money.

We recovered from the dentist by going to the movies and seeing WALL-E. I liked it, as soon as I was able to get past the pet cockroach. Figures that after 700 yrs of garbage-filled cities, no water or life of any kind, that the roaches would survive! Anyway, the kids really liked it and there were no singing and dancing teenagers, which was a nice change for Lenna.

Friday the kids spent the day with a friend while I went to the doctor. Still medically boring, and finally gaining weight on schedule. I had to get the diabetes test done (yuck!) but was able to count it as alone time since I had to sit in the waiting room for an hour and read.

Sadly, the car overheated again on the way home so it took a little longer than expected. My poor car. I cry every time I think about it. Mostly out of frustration. Anyway, it goes through about two gallons of coolant/water every day now. I know there is a leak, but don't know where. And even if I did, I couldn't do anything about it. For now, I am just driving as little as possible and praying it will hold on a little longer until we can pay to have it fixed, and that I don't get stranded somewhere between now and then. We may end up with the van a few months sooner than we planned.

I was able to borrow a copy of the last Twilight book from a friend and managed to finish it in just two days. It was interesting. I don't know if I really liked it or not, but of course I couldn't put it down until the end.

This morning I woke up to the sound of the step stool being dragged across the kitchen floor and cupboard doors slamming. I knew there was trouble!

I hurried to the kitchen to find Andy standing at the counter very carefully spreading peanut butter on toast. He had plugged in the toaster and made toast. He couldn't find the butter, so settled on peanut butter. He used a potholder to remove the hot bread, and even remembered to put the twist-tie back on the bread bag. I was proud of him, and of course alarmed at the thought of what could have happened if he wasn't so successful. Anyway, he explained he was trying to make me breakfast in bed! He finished the toast, added yogurt and a glass of milk (yes, the milk did end up all over the table as he enthusiastically poured it himself, but he was just as eager to clean up himself, so I couldn't really be upset) and served me at the table, since I was no longer in bed. It was very sweet, and I have never enjoyed dry peanut butter toast more!

2 comments:

Tiffany -- the mommy said...

You have been a busy little bee!! Let me know if there is anything that I can do for ya!! ya know if the car breaks I have a van I cna come and get ya!!! :) We miss you in primary!

Lauren in GA said...

You know...I think I would get some sort of strange satisfaction out of my kiddos being so tired that they couldn't swim to the side of the pool. Good for you...it shows you are keeping them active and healthy :)

Megan Gillespie and I were talking about you...she said Brooklyn calls you, "Sister Jannet" so, she calls you, "Sister Mary Jannet". You are the cutest pregnant nun, EVARRRR! I told Megan to call you, "Reverend Mother Cross" and say that I put her up to it. ;)