Nope, not on any form of mechanized transportation, but instead on a journey of the imagination. Let me explain.
Lenna has had a rough start to the school year. She just can't seem to find that place where she feels comfortable. It happened quickly in K, with two or three fast and good friends, a love for her teachers, and enthusiasm for the whole school experience. This year she has been nervous, scared, lonely, bored, unimpressed, etc. It has gotten slowly better, but she still hasn't found that place.
The one things she has been very excited about is riding the bus to and from school each day. The first day, she told me of a few familiar faces on the bus but was a little nervous. She met a girl in her class who could show her the ropes the first day, but it was a girl she wasn't really good friends with. Then I met Sarah.
Sarah is a girl in Lenna's class who just moved here over the summer. She started school a few days late, but was lucky enough to get a seat in Lenna's group. She, by a twist of fate, started riding the school bus just as Lenna did. She doesn't live in the area, but her grandmother bought a house up the street just so she could help tend Sarah and her siblings (two older twin brothers, and a twin sister, and two younger twin sisters) while her mother works at a beauty salon. She lets Sarah highlight her hair and Sarah promised Lenna they could put in highlights for Lenna at their first sleepover. They both decided on pink. Her grandmother used to live in Atlanta, so she could be close to her husband who lives in a nursing home there. Sarah has to ride the bus to Apple tree (A local daycare) on Fridays because her grandmother leaves on the weekend to visit her husband. Her little sisters are there all day, but Sarah and her brothers only have to go after school on Fridays. Sarah has long blonde pigtails and also eats school lunch on pizza day but not on taco day. Her house in is a subdivision near here, the blue one with the green shutters. Sarah is 6, but will turn 7 in January. Sarah and Lenna play together every recess. They are in the same reading group and are going to both dress up as Hannah Montana for Halloween.
I am sure you are wondering why I am telling you all about this girl, complete with all the details of her life. Well, keep reading!
This morning Lenna talked nearly non-stop about Sarah and their plans for recess. I was so happy she had made a new friend I suggested that Lenna give her our phone number and invite her over to play Saturday or some day after school so she didn't have to go to grandma's house. Lenna looked down at her lap, turned red, and finally sobbed out, "I can't call her mom. She isn't real. I just made her up! There is no one named Sarah on my bus or in my class. She is just in my imagination."
I was so confused. How could this little girl, with a fully detailed family history, who had played such an active role in Lenna's first grade experience so far, not be real? All those details were a carefully spun tale designed to accompany a product of my daughter's imagination. I came up with something along the lines of "Then I guess you can imagine her over for a play date anytime you want!" before I let her out in the carpool line. Then I drove home in tears.
Why? Because, well why would she have to invent a friend? Was it that bad? Was she lonely? Dealing with some traumatic experience from the bus that she can't tell me about? Did she create an imaginary seat-mate to make the trip less scary? Have I pushed her too far too soon? Was I not giving her enough attention? Do I not schedule enough play dates with real friends to keep her busy? Is she crying out for help? Or maybe she is so bored in class she has taken to making up stories in her head instead of practicing spelling words and addition? Does she need another creative outlet, more challenging work, a like-minded peer to read hard books with?
I should probably take some time now to say that this isn't Lenna's first imaginary friend. About the time I was pregnant with Andrew she made up a little sister (actually, also named Sarah!) who she blamed messes on. By the time we moved six months later she had a new friend, Lena, who was actually a pretty standard item at our house until about a year ago. She had her own chair at the table, buckled up in the car, had purple hair, etc. But we were all very aware that Lena was pretend. She came out less and less, and only at hard times, like Lenna's first day of preschool she rolled down the window halfway there so Lena could get in. She also came with us on the airplane to visit grandma, took on fairy form to move to our new house, and took the role of tea party guest when her brother was unwilling to do so. Eventually she just named all her dolls Lena and used them in her pretend games instead. I figured it was just because she was little and that was a normal part of being a preschooler. I am not sure why it was easier to accept then.
So my question is: What now? Counseling? Gifted Education? Friend intervention? More parent time? More extra curricular activities? I was leaning toward violin lessons last week. I found a teacher and a place to rent-to-own violins. Now I am thinking, forget the violin and sign my little story-teller up for Children's Theater!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Taken for a ride
Posted by Jannet at 9:33 PM
Labels: Being the Mom, Lenna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
She gave so many details...she is very creative, and I think that is a great thing...I also, think you handled it very, very well when you said that, "I guess you can imagine her over for a playdate any time you want."
I can understand why you are concerned in that it does bring up a question as to whether Lenna is happy and feels accepted or not...but, I don't think it is a sign of something to be really concerned about. I don't have a degree in any of the child psychology disciplines but, I think imagining things for comfort and coping skills is very normal for her age. I guess I would ask the pediatrician...do you like yours? To me it sounds like the violin would be a healthy thing...to give her an outlet.
I am sorry you drove home in tears. I worry so much about my boys, too...it breaks my heart when I fear they aren't settled.
My first impression of Lenna was "That little girl really knows how to make friends." Honestly, I was always jealous of how close Lindsay & Lenna were. Lenna is a magical girl. When she walked in the room she could make your little Avon receipts be the coolest thing to the other kids.
My guess is that it is a stage. I wouldn't worry about counseling... but I do know how you feel. I too want the most positive peer relationships for my girls. Lenna is strong & creative & she's a princess in her own right. & I agree with Lauren... Music does wonders for kids. Maybe you could combine them both & get her into a Music-Theatre class.
Jannet...do you have Hules e-mail address? She said she sent me an invitation but I didn't get it. If you get the chance will you e-mail it to me?
Thanks :)
WOW. And double WOW. And I thought my kids were creative with their "pooting party":) The creativity, details, and thought processes are just amazing.
As far as the concern goes, I took Lex to a counselor that had behavior based things for us and it helped a lot. I got tools to use at home, that otherwise I wouldn't have known. It was just a few sessions... and the things wouldn't apply to your case, but in my case knowledge was power. (Not using your worry brain, but your smart brain- with charts, baby steps with rewards for completing parts of scary tasks. Role playing for friend situations. Having a third party to "report to" for progress, etc) I also like FORCED friends...
pick a child in the class that seems normal and just get them together whenever possible-get the teacher involved in this process. Playdates, same groups, lunch buddy, etc. It only takes one friend to make us feel comfortable,accepted, and more confident. Most teachers are more than willing to bend a little to ensure that the student feels happy at school if it is asked in a "professional tone" for her well-being, as opposed to "just cause she wants to sit by so-and-so". I would set up a teacher conference fast to just have her be aware of your concerns. She might even have some suggestions- or at least an awareness to Lenna's case. Sorry for my long post. I could go on and on, we have just had so many emotional issues that we've dealt with since birth and I am overjoyed at the more confident and independent girl that I have now. I just needed some tricks that I didn't know myself-even though it was a field I studied and worked in (troubled youth, substance abuse, behavior therapy)They don't really teach us what to do with kids that are good and sweet and basically normal with just a few concerns in happiness-and believe me, I have looked and read any books I could get my hands on:)
Glad to see you have a blog. I love to "chat" and feel like I am communicating to adults during the day:)
Post a Comment