Anyway, all I can remember is that out of control feeling, that I knew something bad was about to happen, that I could do nothing t0 stop it, and that I would give just about anything to get off and feel normal again!!
Why would I tell you this less-than amusing story? Because. Fast forward about ten years, and here I am now. On an endless roller coaster. With extreme highs and lows, even a few loop-de-loops, nauseating spins, and that same out-of-control feeling. Wishing I could just stop everything, get back on steady ground, and be in control of myself again. Sadly, there is no emergency stop, no safety bars, and no end in sight! What horrible ride is this you ask? A completely hormonal one. Based in genetics, fueled by stress and sleep-deprivation, and exacerbated by pregnancy.
Seriously- someone let me off!!
I have been going through crazy mood swings, with really good weeks, followed by some really bad weeks. I bet you could read through the archives and find the ups and downs.
On the good weeks I feel good, have energy, and am motivated to get things done. I can take the crazy adventures of life with two kids, a busy husband, and a job in stride. And of course, there is the little voice in the back of my mind telling me to hurry, push, and cram as much as possible into the next few days because one morning I will wake up and it will be free fall time! Those are the weeks I go on cleaning binges, take my kids to do everything, start crazy to-do lists, and actually get things done.
Then come the down times. I will wake up in the morning feeling like I haven't slept at all, have no energy and just "get through the day". I don't really care if I am late for work, or Lenna is late for school, or if the kids eat cold cereal for two out of three meals. The house falls apart, the lists go unchecked, and everything sort of closes in. Then I get overwhelmed with even the simplest things like finding out my daughter has imaginary friends, that my son has to spend half his day in time out, or when the car gets a flat tire. I cry about everything, and sometimes even nothing. Seriously, I cried for an hour about a relief society poster, that now resides in the trash can, it was so important!
Then come the dizzying spins- when things get so crazy I don't have time to pay attention to anything outside of my planner, just rushing from one thing to another. Like the day I realized that we had bought a new couch two days earlier and I hadn't even sat on it yet. Or we had a bag full of library books two days over due that no one had even read once. That I could count the number of waking hours I had spent at home on my fingers, and that was the tally for the whole week. Or sometimes I just make myself crazy with dizzying thought patterns- mostly worries about things I can't control like Mike's job and health, or money stuff, or of course, having a baby! I have nightmares about giving birth in the living room, the car, or even the church bathroom. That my kids will be left at school, that Mike won't make it in time, that no one will come to help me and I will be stuck on the couch for a week holding a screaming baby, with kids crying for dinner, the phone ringing, no clean clothes, and no end in sight!
The worst part is that I feel like I really have nothing to complain about, and that I know it is just hormones. Side note- never ever tell that to a pregnant lady while she is in the middle of an emotional freak-out, you will just get punched in the nose (ask my husband). People tell me I look good for being 8 months pregnant, and I can't complain about morning sickness, or health complications, or birth defects, or emergency surgery (ok, that one was last night's nightmare), or being a single mom or any of that. But it sure would be nice to be able to yell "Stop the ride! I want to get off!" and have everything return to normal again!
Here I am- bulging belly as of today:



3 comments:
Hey, thanks for your comment on my blog--and, a little while ago I read up on your posts from today, and I want you to know that this one I especially appreciate! It's so nice to know I'm not alone, I can totally relate to how you feel. It just helps me feel a little better to know that the tough times are just part of life, and not because I'm not good enough to handle it all. I know that in theory, but it's hard to remember when I'm in the middle of it.
Somebody said that most blogs written by Mormon women tell all about these ideal lives where everything is perfect. It's just refreshing to read blogs that tell how things are going, good or bad, easy or hard. Yours is definitely a breath of fresh air for me because it's so real.
Anyway, thanks! I wish I were there to take your kids or something when the baby comes. Anything! You're an amazing person. =)
Yeah! I can't quite relate to the "getting things done" weeks- but those cereal days, nothing gets done, worries, etc are spot on over here. Refreshing and entertaining to be a lady, insn't it? I don't think (if I knew guys that did blog) that I would read a man's blog much. What, are they going to write about their conversations with adults and where they went out to a real restaurant for lunch or something? Boring!
The analogy you drew in this was so powerful. Even if it is just hormones that still doesn't seem to make it any easier or better. The day in and day out of the maddness can drive anyone to dizziness. I wish I could push the button for you so you could get off the ride and get some rest. I am totally sincere when I say that you amaze me with all that you accomplish and do well.
Post a Comment