Yeah, its that time of year. Back to school. I remember doing this exact same thing with Lenna when she was four. I couldn't make up my mind then, either. I eventually did decide and she ended up at the right place, so I am asking your help again.
I am trying to decide where to send Andy for PreK this year. He is "in" at two little schools, and I need to decide so another child can have his spot at the other place. And soon, since we have about a week before all the open houses and such. So I will throw up a list and pros and cons for each, and you guys weigh in with your opinions so I can make up my terribly indecisive mind before its too late. Thank you in advance!
Both are free, public school hours and days, and follow the same school calendar as Lenna's school.
Choice 1: (not typing the name in case there are weird stalkers reading this who want to snatch my kids)
Pros:
location- about a mile away, right on the way to Lenna's school which would make pick up and drop off very easy.
carpool- have a friend whose children are enrolled, so I could wrangle a few days off at pick up time, since we already share pick up at Lenna's school. Also good for those emergency "Can you grab Andy and keep him for 20 minutes until I can get there?" situations.
staff: has a really low turnover rate with experienced teachers, and I was really impressed with the director and the professionalism I saw.
education: I like the Montessori philosophy they use. Lots of individual instruction and the focus is on independent learning. He would be able to learn at his own pace, ahead of the younger kids if needed. No busy work or coloring sheets babysitting time. also a private school so he could technically keep going there thru 2nd grade if he really liked it.
cost: free, meals included
Cons:
Physical facilities: parking lot is muddy gravel, building just looks run down. Office is tiny. One classroom likes like it is just a converted hallway. Why don't they care enough to take care of the outside? What about the stuff I can't see? Air filters? Plumbing? Mold and mildew control? Kitchen area? Playground equipment? Everything is very clean but what else might be run down?
Class size and age: 40 kids in one room. A big room with 4 teachers, but still. And it is a mixed age group, 3-5. He is already the oldest. I don't want him regressing at all to play with the younger kids or having problems because he is so much bigger.
Choice 2: (again, no name)
Pros:
Facilities: I like the building. Well kept, landscaped, interior clean and new and brightly colored. Lots of windows, to see outside and look in from the hall. Paved parking with covered drop off.
Classroom: traditional kindergarten look and curriculum. Small class (around 15) with two teachers. All kids the same age.
Education: Won awards for exceeding state requirements for program and facility. Typical pre-k with toys, projects, etc. Monthly field trips to farms, restaurants, etc. Would be ready and adjusted for traditional kinder next year.
Staff: was really impressed with the office staff, director, and teachers. professional and friendly. Had 40 slots for pre-k, all but 4 were filled with returning students.
Cons:
Location: still close, within a mile or two but opposite direction of Lenna's school. Would add time to morning routine.
Carpool: no buddies there, would have to start fresh with new friends. Even on days Lenna comes home with friend, I would still have to go out to pick up Andy. No back ups in case I can't get there in time.
Cost: class is free, but charge $20 a week for meals (bkfst, lunch, two snacks)
So there you have it. I am stuck. I make up my mind and change it again each week. What do you think?
Also, completely unrelated- I have ran out of free online storage with my gmail/picasa account. I refuse to pay for a service I know I can get free some place else. Where do you upload and store your pics for sharing and storing for blogging and such?
Monday, July 27, 2009
Help me Make Up My Mind
Posted by Jannet at 11:26 AM
Labels: Andy, Being the Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
if you can afford the $20 a week for the second one I'd do it. just my 2 cents.
You probably don't even remember who I am - I was in your cohort at BYU (I get the emails from Julie with everyone's letters & such). Anyway, I read your blog occasionally, and finally decide to weigh in :). I think I would go with the second one also, and your friend in the other carpool probably could pick up Andy (I have an Andrew also) on days when you had an emergency. So there you have it, opinions from someone you probably don't remember - terribly helpful, right??
I don't have pictures on any online account - can't give any help there. Do you have a facebook account? I don't know if they have limits on what you can upload there?
I think I would go with the first one. I like the fact that it isn't baby-sitting-esque. I don't think that is a word...maybe I need to go back to a pre-school.
If he is self motivated to learn things then I'd go with the first choice. If he needs more structure then I guess the second choice would be better.
I don't know about the pictures...I just use blogger because it is free...
Post a Comment