Friday, July 17, 2009

Paul Bunyan's Forest

Ever wonder how tall tales get started? Well, I am pretty sure that Paul Bunyan, the giant lumberjack, was born out of a need to explain who could chop down these giant trees. On the coast of Northern CA is a park that explains the mystery, aptly called the "Trees of Mystery."

Really big trees. This one points out which ring represents the birth of Christ, the crusades, the discovery of America, the Revolutionary War, etc. This tree lived through it all! Then was chopped down and hollowed out and turned into a gift shop. . . . (OK, not really why it was chopped down, but that is what it became after it fell over).


This Paul's Boot. And my kids trying to sit on it. Significant because there is a picture of me in a green hoodie when I was the same age as the kid in the red shirt, sitting in this exact spot. Very cool, I think.

A larger view.


There was a "Trail of Tall Tales" that featured giant chain-saw carvings of the characters from Paul Bunyan's story. Like his dog who played fetch with fallen trees.

And this 6-foot mosquito. This however was a life-size replica of the bugs that inhabited our camp site.

And the famous resting logger.
At the end of the trail they provided a tree specifically for the purpose of carving your name in, so you could refrain from doing so in the rest of the forest. Smart idea, I think. Just think of the thousands of names that have been etched here over the last 50 years. There is mine.


Right there.

Candelabra tree.

A view from the top. Mountains, forest, and ocean all in one stop. Excellent.

I was totally scared of smashing the side of my rental car on this tree. But we made it!

Us, by a really big tree. I will skip the 100 other pictures of us by other really big trees. You are welcome.

Ok, one more. This was the root system of a really big tree, which is different.

This tree was nice enough to grow above the ground, creating lots of cool tunnels for the kids to crawl through, climb on, and slide down.

Definitely a fun way to spend the afternoon. I spent the day in awe of thses amazing trees, and of our Heavenly Father who can create such beautiful places.

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Totally amazing...all of it. I am so amazed by the tree that shows the birth of Christ and other things from SO LONG ago.

I also like that you have a picture of your kids in the same place that you were. So cool.

Uh, those were some big bugs you had to contend with ;)