Dear Wal-Mart Employee,
I am writing this letter to offer you an explanation of my bizarre behavior this morning. Had I been aware of how our outing would end, I would not have made the trip out in the first place.
Circumstances in our home warranted a trip to the super-center this morning, as we are nearly out of milk and in need of some fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, I was planning on throwing a surprise party for my oldest child this weekend, which required the purchase of craft supplies and cake frosting, and other sleep-over related snacks. There is a gingerbread house contest at our church party on Saturday and I assumed that my children would like something other than leftover halloween tootsie rolls to decorate it with so was also planning on buying some Christmas candy.
I wish to offer my sincerest apologies for leaving the fully-loaded grocery cart (or buggy, if you are a southern native) in the middle of aisle 7. I tried to at least push it off to the side so it wouldn't be blocking traffic. Let's just both be grateful that I hadn't made it to frozen foods or the meat section, so there was no eminent health risk to future customers if you didn't get around to put things away for a while.
As for the cleaning up of the substance that required a "caution wet floor" sign, I hope it went well. I am assuming that you have some sort-of industrial strength cleaner for such an occasion but if not, I have found that a generous sprinkling of baking soda will help absorb the liquid and smell before vacuuming with a wet/dry appliance.
I know it probably looked like I was simply being an irresponsible parent, but that was never my intention. The baby looked well enough this morning. A slight runny nose but nothing that couldn't logically be attributed to normal teething troubles. It wasn't until she started coughing in the craft section that I began to worry, then when I picked her up in party goods and felt her warm head I decided to skip the other GM aisles and go straight for the groceries. I never imagined that the coughing would turn into gagging, followed by lots of snot, and tears, and more gagging, and well you know the end result. You had to mop it up. Anyway, at that point I thought it best to simply exit the premises and return home as quickly as possible to change out of the soaked t-shirt and stop the germ sharing and administer appropriate medication. And of course to care for the baby with clean clothes and infant tylenol.
We are recovering well in case you were wondering. I shall send back-up to purchase the needed groceries and reschedule the party to a time when we are not contagious. Out next trip will be much more enjoyable for everyone involved, I promise.
Sincerely,
Jannet Cross
Thursday, December 10, 2009
A Letter, in Which Wal-Mart joins Dollar General on the list of places I will not return to until after the seasonal staffing changes take effect.
Posted by JMC at 10:02 AM
Labels: Being the Mom, Christmas, Rebecca
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Jannet, my dear...I know I have said this before but you are a brilliant writer. I enjoyed this so much...well...not the fact that you had to suffer through the events desribed but you wrote about it brilliantly.
I'm so sorry.
We just finished our gingerbread houses. It is safe to say we will not come away victorious. Do you want me to pick up your well children to go? I'll call you...
Oh, and I forgot to mention that Mike and I had no idea what a buggy was the first time that we heard that.
Post a Comment