Rebecca has become the self-appointed mail carrier at our house. If it is in an envelope, comes from the mailbox, or is any sort of folded paper, it is HER mail. If you are lucky, she might share it with you before she rips it open. If not, you fish the pieces off the floor as soon as she is distracted by something else. Her birthday is coming up so she actually has mail addressed to her arriving now. She couldn't be happier!
And really, who could blame her? I still love getting mail in the mailbox. I love the convenience of email and sending photos and other news via blog post or web albums, but really, nothing compares to holding a stamped envelope in your hand. Birthday cards, party invitations, graduation announcements, letters from a friend, or holiday cards. Especially Christmas cards.
I still haven't decided what our family's "thing" is when it comes to holiday greetings. E-cards, photo cards, computer printouts, hand written notes, or glittering nativity stories- over the years we have done them all. I think it mostly depends on what we are doing that year. The first Christmas after our wedding we sent combo thank you and Christmas cards. When Lenna was born we sent a Christmas-themed birth announcement. The year after Becca was born we had to make do with an impersonal blog post a few weeks after Christmas. Usually we go the traditional route with box of cards from the store with a newsletter and a few photos of the kids tucked in.
This year, I am leaning toward photo cards. Real, printed, stamped, and mailed photo cards! It occurred to me as I was sorting the thousands of digital photos I have taken this year that most of them will never leave my hard drive. Or be seen by my non-techy family members like my grandmothers. A photo card will solve the problems- our best photos get to leave the hard drive, relatives get a photo and card to hold in their hand or prop on the mantle, and I don't have to panic as I am loading in the kids school photos when I run out of wallets half way through the stack!
Now, if I could just decide which photos to use, and which cards to use them in!
I have been exploring the card designs available at Shutterfly. There are so many great choices! I finally settled on these:
I also love that this is a folded card that I can write a personal note inside. I love having choices between folded cards, stationary cards, or photo postcards.
I love the bright colors on this one. I also like that I can put more than just a single greeting on the front with the story cards. I always have plenty more to write than "Merry Christmas." I already have a few ideas of what our family's top ten might be.
Of course, I might just forget the cards again this year if our little bundle of joy decides to make her appearance too early. If that happens, we will opt for birth announcements instead. This one is my favorite. I love all of the pink and brown stripes and polka dots, but couldn't resist the little bee and bright colors here.
Now, because I always am much better with following through when I have an external source holding me accountable, I will make a pledge to blogger land.
This year, I will send my friends and family a real Christmas card (or birth announcement) with a stamp and an envelope and a cute photo of my kiddos. If Rebecca doesn't steal them all and rip them apart first. Some things are out of my control. Please send me one, too. It will make my day, and Rebecca will thank you!





1 comments:
I'm with Rebecca. I love mail, too.
I am overwhelmed with the thought of Christmas cards. If we do something I promise to send you...well, Rebecca ☺, one in hard copy.
Post a Comment