On the 13-25 days of Christmas we:
13. Had a sick day and played nurse for a friend while kids and daddy had a movie party and raided the Christmas popcorn tin.
14. Got really cold noses at Lights of the South.
15. Went to a primary girls Christmas party, made ornaments with a friend.
16. Watched a kindergarten Christmas program and went to class parties.
17. Wore pajamas to school for Polar Express Day and to story time at the mall.
18. Caught strep throat and went to the doctor for medicine.
19. Set up the entertainment center as the Nativity Center.
20. Have a craft day to make presents for each other.
21. Visit the post office and go out for hot chocolate and Christmas-sprinkled doughnuts.
22. Put on the Nativity play with friends.
23. Bake cookies for Santa. Each contributed in his or her own way.
24. Christmas movie marathon, wrap presents, bake pies, and drive around the neighborhood to look at light displays. Leave cookies for Santa on the table and reindeer oats on the lawn. Open gifts mom made!
25. Merry Christmas! Exchange gifts, have cinnamon rolls for breakfast, make an Easy Bake Oven birthday cake for Jesus, watch and perform the nativity.
A few present-opening highlights (the only ones I could get in before I ran out of photo storage from google/blogger/picasa):
Santa delivered
Mike had to beat them down the hall to get a first glimpse picture
I wish he had filled my stocking with ear plugs to accompany this gift
Dora and Boots go for a walk in the stroller
Finally, the new bike!
To Andy from Lenna
To Becca from Lenna- a giant fuzzy worm thing. She rides it up and down the hall.
For her upcoming trip to Paris
Night vision goggles, something every good spy needs
A Dora dolly, that doesn't sing, talk, or beep. Just lets you brush her hair. Mom-approved.
A Christmas pillowcase
An Alaska fish ornament
And the post-opening piles. I am amazed every year at all the stuff that appears under the tree that I didn't buy. Thank you to all of the people out there who love my kids and help make their Christmas morning special.
Lenna baked the 3-layer cake and frosted it herself. Rebecca relinquished her hold on the baby Jesus toy just long enough for a song.
We did things a little bit backward this year. I gave over Christmas Eve to Santa. We watched the Santa movies, set out the cookies, listened for his sleigh bells, and had one last hurrah with his elves. In past years I try to push it all in and find a balance between the Nativity story and Rudolph's bright nose and always feel rushed to do everything and guilty we didn't focus more on the spiritual side of things. So I just decided to do less. Christmas Day we celebrated Jesus' birthday- complete with presents, candles, Christmas hymns, and the nativity DVD with scripture reading, the Choir, and the real Christmas story. Santa and his elves and reindeer had already faded back to the North Pole and didn't even make an appearance after they were hastily accounted for in the gift-giving.
I am sure we will still make adjustments next year and every year after, but for now I think that is how we will keep doing things. I know I certainly enjoyed both days more- Christmas Eve was all about excitement and anticipation and junk food and Christmas magic. Christmas Day was peaceful and calm (after 9AM) and focused on the Savior and family and gratitude. And that worked for me!


0 comments:
Post a Comment