I was just looking over the archives of the year, and realized I have done an excellent job of writing absolutely nothing personal for about a year. Yea me!
I blame the pills. They keep me from turning into the Wicked Witch of the West at the drop of a hat or crying myself an ocean like Alice at the slightest provocation, but they also leave me feeling pretty flat. Maybe this baby will screw up my chemistry the other direction and I will come out even again?
Anyway, I was counting weeks today. 8 to go. Maybe less if my doctor takes pity on me and lets me deliver before I grow a ten pound baby. I thought about making a list like my friend Abby, of 40 things I want to do before I hit 40 weeks, or taking the easy road and writing 8 things for 8 weeks. I decided not to number things and just write down everything I wanted to get done before baby- Christmas projects, decluttering, cleaning, setting up the nursery, etc. I filled a sheet of notebook paper front and back. Then I cried. Then Mike threatened to light the thing on fire if I stressed over it too much. And that wouldn't work because then I would have to add "make a new list" to my already overwhelming list! Oh dear, what to do?
I have decided to just make my list of 8 goals, personal things for me to get done before I have this baby. As for the big list, I am going to cross some things off (for example, I know I won't get to the cross stitch wall hanging for Becca or baby, even if I had nothing else to do between now and then and have given up hope of ever having clean windows) and put some things off, and have Mike do some things, and have the kids do some things, and let my friends do some things, and then do the rest one at a time until it is done. Or just let Mike burn it if it gets to be too much!
So here is my list of 8 things to do for me over the next 8 weeks:
1. Finish my handmade Christmas gifts. I actually find great satisfaction in finishing a project, knowing it won't be undone by tomorrow morning, and having something meaningful to give.
2. Go to the temple.
3. Make and freeze a week's worth of dinners to stash in the freezer for when help dries up.
4. Set up the nursery for Miss Elizabeth. I know I will feel peace knowing things are ready and there is a special place set up for mommy and baby even if the rest of the house is falling apart.
5. Go to the spa for a mani/pedi, not the stinky nail salon, and enjoy the quiet.
6. Go on a date with each of my kids to tell them how much I love them and how special they are, before the chaos sets in and I barely have energy to kiss them good night.
7. Send all the kids away for a night and go on a date with Mike, for the same reasons as above.
8. Load up the ipod with relaxing music, replenish the hidden chocolate stash, download a handful of good ebooks, dust off the double stroller and my walking shoes, stockpile the preschool DVDs, and anything else I can think of to bolster my coping skills.
So there it is! 8 things in 8 weeks. I am starting the official countdown.
Monday, December 6, 2010
8 weeks
Posted by Jannet at 2:33 PM
Labels: Baby, Jannet, resolutions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I love the name Elizabeth!
I love your list. I think my Mike and your Mike are a lot alike. I can totally hear mine offering to set my list on fire if it made me cry.
I am sorry that your medicine made you feel flat. I have had other friends say that, too. My meds leave me exhausted. I guess it's better than the alternative (feeling hopeless) but I get what you are saying...
Did you get the e-mail that I sent in response...we can chat sometime about the newest social event of the year.
Post a Comment