I got a new journal for Christmas. Very pretty, a black hardcover with metallic blue and green butterflies embossed across the cover. In fact, its perfect, just the thing I would have picked out myself. It feels extra special because Lenna picked it out and gave it to me. I am not sure how much guidance she got from Mike when they were shopping, but she was quite insistent it was her gift to me. I love it.
And I can't write in it. Seems too special to demote to recording shopping lists or meeting notes. I do my every day journaling of family events and happenings here to make them accessible to relatives. I already have a rarely-used gratitude journal, a conference notes journal, a journal for each child, a scripture journal, even one for recording all the funny things the kids say, though I don't think I've opened that one since Andrew was the entertainment. Most of my journaling has been done electronically the last few years, with the things too personal getting told in confidence in person or emails or simply going unsaid, especially the last year or so when the medicine that kept me afloat also kept me and my emotions grounded and level- no dips, but no peaks either- leaving really nothing interesting to say.
So that begs the question, what am I to put in this particular journal? I fear using for the wrong purpose but I know watching it go unused will be more hurtful that letting it get used for something too trivial. I have been brainstorming and keep thinking of my sweet girl. Her amazing sweet, strong spirit, her example to me of faith and empathy and compassion. How I hope she knows how special she is, even when I am too tired to tell her. How I wish I could scoop her up and keep her small and protect her from all the grown up worries she has been having and any problems she might have to face. I want to make this journal for her somehow, but can't quite nail it down. Any ideas?
Monday, December 27, 2010
What to Write
Posted by Jannet at 11:59 PM
Labels: Being the Mom, Jannet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
You could write to Lenna in it...and tell her basically what you said about her, here. And then use it as a small scrapbook...with no embellishments...just pictues.
Post a Comment