This week marked the end of my first year of employment at Hayden's. And my first year as a working mom. And Andy's first year of preschool. It was an interesting mix of emotions. I was relieved- the summer means a lighter schedule, less planning, and more time with my kids.
It also meant saying good-bye to ten little kids who I have come to love this year- hoping they will go on to good things happy times. Wondering if I made a difference for good, if they will remember me if we meet in the store in two years. It was interesting to see so many children from different backgrounds and the challenges they face.
I am amazed and saddened at how resilient young kids can be when they have to- like the little girl who is stuck in the middle of a bitter custody dispute, whose only constant was her grandmother, who is being forced to move two states away to be with her mom's latest flame away from grandma and anything she knows. I remember some days when she came to school and spent the whole day on my lap, alternating between bravado excitement regarding her new dad and sobbing uncontrollably for no explainable reason. That is one I wish I could keep close for a while longer!
And of course the five little Mormon kids who I got to sing and play with like it was just another primary day, who I knew had parents who loved them and I would see again next week in the foyer- those were easy good-byes!
Anyway, the last day we had a party by the pool. Parents were strongly encouraged to come with their kids to keep them safe in the water, and thankfully many did. Unfortunately many didn't come to swim so the paid help (me) had to get in the cold water and try to keep everyone afloat. No drownings! Here are some pics, you might see a few familiar faces!

Sunday, May 25, 2008
Make a Splash
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
It never ceases to amaze me how resillient children are - you just never know down the road how things are going to impact them though.... I'll bet it was hard to say goodbye, but CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first year!!
I LOVED the pictures (I saw lots of familiar faces ;) ) and the water looks so Blue and beautiful...is it so blue 'cause it was ice cold, I wonder?
I was really touched at your sharing your feelings for your 10 little ones who are now going off to other places. Oh, that poor little girl being taken away from her Grandma...that is so sad.
I know you made a difference in all of their lives :)
I laughed at your wondering if they will recognize you in the grocery store...I remember seeing a teacher in the bank once and just being in awe that she did OTHER things besides live at the school and be my teacher.
Post a Comment