Lenna finished her first full year of school this week. It was bittersweet, of course. I am proud of her and amazed at how much she has grown, but really, who likes to see their kids growing up?



The last week they had a little show. They sang several songs to us in front of a background they had made themselves, with a lot of help from the class aid Mrs Smith, who is an amazing artist with construction paper and scissors. After the concert they were presented with their memory book and we watched a slide show of the year's pictures. I couldn't believe how grown up she looked when comparing the pictures for the first day of school and the last day of school. They don't do a formal graduation type thing here, they each were able to walk across the stage when their name was called to get their book.


Really, my only problem with the whole event was that Lenna was so excited to go that morning she was up before 7, completely dressed in clothes she picked out, with her hair done herself. Lenna owns probably a dozen dresses that range from long to short, casual to dressy, brand new to three years old. That morning she picked her favorite- one she has been wearing since it was too big three years ago. It is faded, worn out, has a cut in the hem from a scissor accident, and is about two inches too short. In fact, I am fairly certain I packed it away in the give away box two weeks ago but she dug it out for the occasion. Now what was I supposed to do? Tell her she didn't' look good enough for a program and force her with tears and fighting to change into something I liked, or let her go how she was proud and confident? I voted for the latter, and hope in ten years when she is looking back that she will thank me when I explain why she was dressed so poorly that afternoon.
So here is to a great school year now over, a confident and under-dressed kid, and a lifetime of memories!


2 comments:
What an amazing Mom you are!! It's great that you were able to let Lenna have her big day dressed the way that she choose *wink* She should definitely appreciate that in years to come - LOL. I can't believe that her and Jami will be starting 1st grade in the fall - time is flying by =( That was really nice that she received a special gift like the memory book - she'll love that later in life, too.
So beautifully put...I think it is great that you let her go how she felt the best! I really mean that, I am not just saying it because Batman goes out with me everyday.
It really is amazing how much they grow in one year :)
Post a Comment