Well, we have been trapping for just over a week now. It has had some interesting results. The first few days we caught nothing- it was very disappointing, since we had already paid and could still see the foxes playing outside, they just weren't going in the traps.
Finally, one night we caught one baby fox. that morning Mike had to chase the mom and other baby away several times so he could go out to the car. It made sense, she didn't want to leave her baby. Anyway, the trapper came and got him and now he is happily raiding trash cans and camps sights at Clark's Hill Lake. Did you know that foxes bark when threatened?

The next night we re-baited the traps with little cans of cat food. It was a very productive bait! We caught no more foxes but, did wake up to find:
A big, scary rabid raccoon (the same who has previously visited in past posts)

A small, stinky little opossum (very, very gross, he came with his own band of flies)

And a ferocious,
frightening

Box turtle.
He said that is the first time he has ever trapped a turtle. He left us the turtle, but took the other animals away.
The next day we caught a stray cat, a very wild and mean stray cat. I was going to let it out because I knew he would take it to the humane society but it started running around the cage like crazy, hissing and clawing at me, so I thought maybe it would be better off anyway and left it there.
So that is our adventure in wildlife hunting here at the house. A very good sampling really, since those are all of the animals we have had encounters with before. The foxes disappeared the night after we stole the baby, so hopefully they are convinced this isn't a safe place and have moved away. We will leave the traps up the rest of the week and see if anything else shows up but I feel much better about going out at night now.
Last week I heard a report about an abundance of bears in the CSRA, bothering campers and such. I told Mike I just knew that one night I was going to look out the kitchen window and see one out there- it seems we get everything else! 



1 comments:
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a bear, either...like you said...you have managed to encounter everything else ;)
I LOVED how you wrote...."ferocious (scroll down) frightening (scroll down with fear) box turtle" You crack me up!
I had no idea that foxes bark. I learn so much from your blog. You are always a wealth of information!
I am so glad the foxes didn't attack poor Mike when he was trying to get to his car. I find it fascinating that they had to be shooed away several times.
Yay, that the killer racoon is gone. And what is up with the cat? Man, oh man?
Post a Comment