Friday, February 27, 2009

Food thoughts

Lots of randomness to blog about, but finding a common thread in food issues.

I am one step closer to not having to get up in the morning at all with this little invention. Now the kids can get their own breakfast and the chances of me having to get up and mop before breakfast have considerably lessened. Who says recycling is a selfless act. And I was kidding about not getting up with my kids in the morning. Sort of.

(He's pouring milk, not syrup, in case you were wondering)

Publix is having a buy1, get 1 sale on pasta stuff this week. I got six boxes of noodles, four jars of sauce, four cans of seasoned tomatoes, two packs of yogurt, and four boxes of Quaker (wheat-free!) cereal all for less than $20. As long as no one minds spaghetti variations for two weeks straight, we could live on that in an emergency. Hello food storage!

I stopped by Lenna's school Wednesday afternoon at lunch time. I still love the fact that I can totally make her day just by showing up to watch her eat a grilled cheese sandwich. I do have one question though- what doofus in the nutrition department thought that serving whole apples to kids in the lunch line was a good idea? At least take the time to cut them into wedges. I have never seen so much fruit go straight into the trash can. Especially in the first grade- do they not remember that 7 year olds have no front teeth?

(See? No teeth!)

Today Andrew discovered the joy of cracking and shelling peanuts (all over the living room rug) and is happily sharing them with his toy elephant. Because elephants love peanuts, of course. And Andrew loves the Dustbuster. Sometimes I wonder if he spills things on purpose, just to be able to suck them up again....

I lost three pounds this week without exercising. Want to know my diet secret? It's called the my-throat-hurts-so-bad-I-can't-swallow-anything-but-liquids diet. It works. And if you are in the no pain, no gain (or loss) camp, then it should be no problem for you. Just spend a few hours at your local preschool, primary, or doctor's office for a free exposure to the virus-of-the-week. Or come on over here, I am sure one of us is still a carrier. In the mean time, I am seriously considering an elective tonsillectomy.

Rebecca is a solid food junkie. She loves bananas and bread. Will eat pears if they are warm, and tolerates rice cereal. Maybe if I mix it with bananas? She is back to sleeping at night now that her tummy is full. The down side- I might need a new more effective diaper pail.

Even four year olds can learn to add and subtract and do CRCT test prep when peanut butter m&ms are the manipulative involved. Now he loves to "play the plus game!" in the car. He is still learning that you can't add letters and numbers together ("what is 2 plus d?") but is getting pretty good at counting on his fingers. He is amazed to discover that there is more than one number combination that will make the same answer: that 4+2 = 6 and so does 3+3, for example, is fascinating to him. I blame his dad, but will take the credit for his budding genius.

Oh, in case any of you are wondering: banana peels and pb&j sandwich crusts will flush down the toilet. CTR rings, race cars, and your big sister's toothbrush will just sink to the bottom. Thank you Andrew for sharing your research findings with us so freely. I really appreciate it.

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

You are hilarious! I love your dry sense of humor.

Hey, I think Andrew may be such a genius that he is attempting algebra. Now that's impressive.

That syrup bottle for milk is positively brilliant!

I love that you documented the lack of teeth in 7 year olds.

Yay, for your solid food junkie!!!!!!!!! I love a good night's sleep.