I have a Facebook Account. I don't do much on there as far as all the little games and quizzes and such. I find it an interesting challenge to try and sum up my day in the two line limit they put on your status report. I like reading other people's and lurking through their photo albums, esp if they don't have a blog and that is all I get to see of them.
When I first joined all of my friends were buddies from church or my relatives (the typical email contact list friends). I recently added my maiden name and my high school name to my profile to see who facebook would randomly generate as my potential friends.
I have been invited to add lots of old acquaintances as friends. Because that is what they are, really not friends just people who recognize my name from high school. I haven't confirmed yet.
See, here's the thing. I am not so sure I want to reconnect with anyone from high school. I HATED middle school and high school. I was the biggest dork ever. Total loner- not the cool "I don't care what anyone thinks I will do my own thing" loner, the "who is that person who has been in my class for two years but I have never bothered to ask her name" loner. I was too smart, too shy, and too tall. I was depressed and had no self-esteem and spent most of my time trying hard to be invisible. I had bad hair, bad clothes, bad acne, and bad teeth. No, I will not share a picture. I do not have any on purpose.
I went to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade in a small k-8 school with a graduating class of 25. I was the tallest, wore clothes that didn't fit, was the only one who could write in complete sentences or do long division, didn't drink, smoke, or kiss boys, and had untreated social anxiety disorder that made me have panic attacks on the school bus, during class presentations, or trying to talk on the telephone. Not exactly a recipe for social success.
High school was just as bad. I went to three different ones with no success. I floated from one group to another trying to find a good fit. I never did. I coped by trying to disappear at lunch and being a perfectionist in the classroom. I found an outlet and small relief on the basketball court or the track team, which probably is the only reason I made it out in one piece. Just thinking about it makes me shudder.
Why, I ask you, Why would I want to reconnect with anyone who ever knew me like that?
Well, here is the dilemma. I could just ignore them all. Forget they even exist or that I am that person who they knew. And continue in my happy life with no evidence of the shaky past.
Or, I could friend them all, even the ones who never said two words to me in high school. Then bombard them all with the current me, just to prove that high school is not the great predictor of future success.
The cheerleader with all the boyfriends and no brain is a single mom in her parents guest house. The football star is a crash and burn after jr college because he couldn't get accepted to a college to play. The nerdy guy with bad hair who knew about computers when no one else did is a tech genius. And the invisible girl with no social skills has a strong marriage, a great family, a college degree, a good job, fabulous kids, and all the things I hated about myself have sort of just went away. I grew out of the acne, long legs are good, I can dress myself, I grew out the bad bangs, reading is not a nerd hobby, my husband will kiss me whenever I want, I am not invisible, and people think I am talented and funny and smart and responsible.
So I guess that is it. I just thought I would share. I think I am going to go confirm a few new friends now.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
To Friend or Not To Friend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I swear this post is about me!!! Jr. High was okay, High School was awful. And I know that's how all those old "friends" remember me and it's emberrassing. I love your perspective, it's so true. I wouldn't go back to high school for anything, but I am so happy with the life I have now! We rock. =)
I agree with Suzanne, you both rock!!! You are really amazing, Jannet. When I read about your past it surprises me becasue you are brilliant and articulate and when I serve with you in callings I am ALWAYS blown away...without fail. And, I for one am jealous of long legs and natural blondes. And, your kids are GORGEOUS inside and out. Truly!
Facebook scares me...Scary people from my past...now married men wanted to be my friend...it was kinda weird...so I flipped and jumped right back off after joining. I am not saying I am this desirable maven, or anything...I just wondered why they would want to talk to an overweight, happily married housewife with a dirty house...get a life gentleman.
My sister just joined. She was blown away at all the people that wanted to add her that she didn't know well in highschool, or were jerks. She has been happily surprised that those that asked to add her are all sweet and sincere and over their "teenage snottiness". We all have changed (better or worse) and (usually)are so much more accepting and confident than we were in highschool. We have moved so much- I just feel like if I don't keep in touch after moving, I will never have any friends. (Ladies, though. Never can trust those chatty men:)
Post a Comment