Alternately titled: No more tears, please!!!
A triple dose of my own medicine.
I taught preschool for two years and numerous junior primary classes for who knows how long before that. I was one of those teachers who dismissed the anxious parents at the door when their children were crying and pleading with them not to leave.
"Just give a quick hug, then leave."
"They never cry for more than a few minutes after you go."
"This is just a show for you, they will stop as soon as you leave and they know it won't work to keep you here."
"They just need a few days to adjust then they will be fine."
"Your hovering only makes it worse."
"Peek in if you have to, but don't let them see you."
"If he keeps crying we will call you."
"Be consistent and just keep coming back, eventually they will get used to it."
"It is important for you to have this time for you, even if they are unhappy about it."
"A few minutes of crying won't traumatize them for life."
All things that I have said to parents in the past. All things I have heard the past two weeks in regards to my own unhappy children. It was so easy to say it when it wasn't my kid, so much harder to hear it now! I'm all for having to take a dose of my own medicine once in a while- but in such large quantities, I think I may have to be treated for an overdose!
The first day of school went off without a hitch. As the novelty wore off and the routine set in, the protests started to surface. Lenna missed a morning due to stomach pain, and has already made 3 trips to the nurse. Andrew stayed home sick Friday with a cold, but has made it his personal mission to see what it takes to get to stay home every day. And Rebecca is loudly protesting my new plan to get fit while she plays in the gym child care center.
Lenna doesn't want to go to school. Her hair isn't curly enough. Her teacher isn't nice enough. Her friends aren't numerous enough. The work isn't challenging enough. The lunch isn't good enough. The bell doesn't ring soon enough. The class isn't warm enough. Even if she hasn't, I have definitely had enough!
Andrew really doesn't want to go to school. The day is too long. The food is too different. The nap time is too long. The boys are too mean. Morning comes too soon. The nap time is too quiet. He loves the activities and songs and stories, but getting him in the door to get to that part of the day is a nightmare. I wonder if it is just too much for both of us.
Rebecca just likes to cry, but only when I try to put her in someone else's care. I have been trying to go each morning to the gym to exercise, because I shouldn't look five months pregnant 9 months after having a baby. Anyway- she cries in the car on the way there. She cries no matter who holds her. She cries on the floor. She cries in the high chair. She cries in the bouncer. She cries if they walk her around. She cries if they sit still. She cries if they feed her. She cries if they leave her alone. By the end of the day, I want to cry!
So what's the deal? The hidden meaning behind all those tears? A plea for summer to last just a few weeks more? A sign that they need to get to bed earlier? Proof they don't get enough attention at home? Developmentally appropriate separation anxiety? The result of poor parenting? Actions heartless mother who sends her children off into the world despite their protest and pleas for more time at home? Proof that I made the wrong decision when it came to choosing between home school or public school, preK or joy school, aerobics at home or at the gym?
And what should I do about it? I am not above bribery, tough love, hovering, charts and rewards, 6pm bed time, or dropping out of society altogether. I just want everyone to be happy!!
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Overdose
Posted by Jannet at 9:27 AM
Labels: Andy, Being the Mom, Lenna, Rebecca
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I don't even know what to say....I'm so glad that I didn't have that experience though. I told Lauri that she should give you a call b/c I know that she has been thru it with two of her girls. Hopefully you'll get some responses from other Moms that have been thru this, too.
I hear you on almost every level. I worked in child care for years before having kids and said those things, too.
Then I wanted to croak at the sound of my own children's tears.
You are such a clever writer. I love how you described your own medicine as an overdose.
I wish I had advice...you are a wonderful Mom...I do know that.
Post a Comment