Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shopping Strike Out

I went shopping with Andy today at the thrift store on base. At the store we were able to acquire about five outfits for Andrew for free and browse through bins full of baby clothes. I would have felt weird taking any, so I just looked. Andy also scored another firetruck for his collection. 5 and counting.

Poor Lenna only got a skirt, because Andrew started yelling "I have to poop!" repeatedly as soon as I got to the racks of little girl clothes. It was a cute skirt and she loved it. But in my hurry to get Andrew to a potty before we had a very messy situation on our hands (I have long given up carrying a diaper bag or wipes) I neglected to inspect the garment for defects. Lenna found it right away- a 6 inch jagged tear in the back. She was so disappointed! I also picked her up a new swimming suit and flip flops from the BX. Very cute, but I obviously was shopping impaired today because the swim suit was a size too small and the shoes a size too big.

She came home from school and was so excited to see what I brought her and then was disappointed each time I pulled something out of the bag for her. First her cute little bum showed when she put on the swimsuit, then the shoes fell off when she tried to walk in them, and then her enthusiasm for the skirt was crushed when she found the tear.

I had to pull out the sewing machine to try and rescue the day. The skirt had been washed after it tore and so I couldn't put it back together. We had to patch it. I think our solution was pretty good. We covered the tear with an appliqued heart, added a few more on other places (because what skirt just has a heart patch on just the back of the knee?) and covered up my beginner stitching with some glitter paint. Anyway, Lenna likes it. We will have to return the other things this weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing job that you did with Lenna's skirt - I think it looks very cute =) Way to save the day Mom!!

Lauren in GA said...

You did save the day! I agree with tjpc1964! Great Job, Jannet!


I am sorry...I confess, I laughed when I read how Andrew was yelling, "I have to Poop!" It is just that, that sort of thing has happened to me before. I felt like telling Adam once..."Thank you for announcing it to everyone within a 3 mile radius, son."

Abs said...

At least he told you before he had to go. J often says "I'm going peepee in my undies" and it makes me want to rip my hair out.

Cute appliqués. Very resourceful. I actually think the patches make the skirt!