A parent brag post for archival purposes. Consider yourself warned.
A few months ago Lenna came home with a post-it stuck to her homework folder informing me that her story had been selected to represent the first grade in a writing contest called Young Georgia Authors. I patted Lenna on the head, told her I was proud of her for doing her best, and then quickly forgot about the whole thing. She didn't of course.
About a month ago the principal called me to tell me that Lenna's story had won the contest at the county level and was being submitted to the regional and state contests to represent the district's first grade. She was calling to ask permission to publish it on the school website (which you can look up if you are local or find a link on Lenna's private blog if you are family) and announce it on their little news show. I had to act surprised when Lenna came home from school- bounding off the bus at a full run, jacket flying, book bag dragging, waving her paper and shouting, "Mommy! Mommy! I won! I won! My story won for the whole county!" I haven't seen her that excited since Christmas.
Andrew and I were invited to stay for a few minutes at the school to watch Lenna read her story to the school on the morning news show. Andrew thought it was neat to see Lenna on the tv.
A few weeks ago we received the official letter from the school board inviting Lenna to their meeting to receive a certificate. I took the other two kids to a sitter (Mike was taking finals) and Lenna and I went to the meeting. She was a little nervous but also proud. After we celebrated with some ice cream before we collected her siblings.



1 comments:
That is so wonderful!!!! Congratulations, Lenna!
I love the quote at the end about her wishing she could write as fast as she thinks. One day she will be able to type it. Or she could dictate to you, Jannet...just kidding...in all of a Mom's spare time ;)
Post a Comment