Monday, May 4, 2009

Rain, rain go away

Its raining. Inside and out.

I have so many things I am supposed to tell you about. The church talent show, Lenna's writing prize, Rebecca's 1/2 birthday, Andrew's baseball game, Easter stuff, summer plans, etc, etc. And of course all the personal stuff I have been meaning to write about but haven't motivated to share yet.

And here I sit, typing about all the stuff I should be typing about but am not. To distract me from all of that, I will tell you what I have been doing the past week. I have been sick. I caught a cold somewhere and it hit me pretty hard. I think I am finally feeling normal aside from a lingering cough. However, not normal enough to be motivated to catch up all the stuff I neglected while I was sick. So the laundry is piled up, the sink is full of dishes, I am not sure what I am making for dinner, and I am sitting on the couch blogging, reading, and eating crackers straight out of the box. I am still sick enough to take a break, right?

Lenna and Andy both had appointments last week. Lenna has had some digestive issues that have gotten worse lately. She is improving but not yet in the clear. Thank goodness they make taste-free fiber supplements now. We are trying to avoid more invasive procedures.

Andrew went to the allergist. They repeated a skin test that they had done about a year and a half ago. Then it named half a dozen things that were responsible for his discomfort. I have been pumping him full of different combinations of allergy medicines for over a year with no satisfying results.

As of last week he is officially allergic to ... nothing. We have moved on to asthma and celiac disease as the most likely causes for his coughing, wheezing, rashes, and a handful of other symptoms. Also considering a tonsillectomy to reduce the snoring and sleep apnea. We are awaiting test results but I am already mourning the loss of pizza delivery, chocolate chip cookies, and homemade wheat bread. I am so having a stash cupboard! And significantly reducing our savings plan and adding to our food budget so my kids can eat gluten-free.

Today everyone is ill in their own way. Rebecca has a low grade fever, a cough, and a rash. Andrew has a runny nose, and Lenna has a stomach ache and spent the weekend with a strep throat carrying family, so I am just waiting for a call from the nurse.

Blah. I need my routine back. And a chocolate bar.

2 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I am sorry that everybody is feeling lousy. No fair and no fun.

I totally support you in having a stash cupboard...things like that make life bearable ☺.

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

So sorry to hear you have all been sick. Gluten free isn't fun, but it can be done relatively pain free (except for your wallet-start investing in WholeFoods stock). We've been gluten free for 3+ years, so let me know if you need any tips. We have an appointment with a specialist next week for celiac. BTW-if you are going to do a blood test for Celiac then don't go gluten free until after you do the test-it will come back negative.