When Lenna was little (or little-er I guess, she is still little!) I told her each time she learned something new her brain would get a new wrinkle. For months after that she would come and tell me each time her brain got a new wrinkle. She also made the connection that old people were wrinkly because they had lived so long and learned so many new things that the wrinkles spread to the outside. Anyway, I got a new wrinkle in my brain today. After a Sunday with Andrew, probably a new one on my forehead as well, but I hope not!
I discovered a link to BYU radio on a website I visit for primary stuff called Sugardoodle.net. I was happy because it made me feel a little more connected to the western Mormon culture I miss so much way out here in Georgia. Also because I could access "Soft Sunday Sounds" in the morning before church.
I turned it on this evening to a lecture by a visiting scientist who spent an hour talking about string theory, an alternative to Newton's gravity theory and Einstein's theory of relativity and someone else (I was not taking notes) theory of uncertainty in quantum mechanics.
I was listening at first out of convenience, I didn't want to bother with closing the window to the radio player, then out of interest. I found myself following along and actually understanding what he was saying. I felt so smart! Not because I am a brilliant physicist, but because I was listening to an academic talking about something besides parenting and I could follow along. I took physics 10 years ago in high school and found some old bits returning to the surface. My brain is not mushy and void of all pre-pregnancy knowledge! What a relief! And now if I am ever stuck on a plane next to a physics teacher, I will have something to talk about with him or her. A new wrinkle for me- hooray!


3 comments:
I know what you are saying about thinking your brain has turned to mush...good for you that you could totally follow along with what was being said.
Congrats on your new wrinkle Jannet! I had never heard of that idea with the learning something new - did you create that? I don't think that I could have followed along with that - Science was my least favorite subject =( I'm glad that you did so well though!
I love the wrinkle theory!! I never thought I would say this but I want some new wrinkles!!
Post a Comment