Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Firsts

Today I took Lenna to the dentist for her first (and only, I hope) fillings. All $300 worth. She better not ever say I don't love her..... She did great, thanks to a lovely cocktail of nitrous oxide and demoral sedative. She went under "concious sedation" so she was awake the whole time but not aware of what was happening. Anyway, she now has two very pretty whole and shiny molars. She has spent the day sleeping. I endured a 3 hr waiting room stay with a man who talked way too much, cared way too much about what I was doing, and couldn't take a hint even after I changed seats, burried my nose in a book, ignored him, etc. He just really wanted to talk to someone I guess. Anyway, I was happy when his kid came out and they left me to enjoy my waiting room time in peace. Andy was at school, so I was looking forward to spending a few hours reading and thinking and staring into space, which I don't get to do very often. I think only moms can look forward to waiting room time. Of course, I would have wanted to scream if I had younger children with me, but alone time in the waiting room is golden.

She also went to her first sleepover on Friday. It was a birthday party for a girl in her class that has played here a few times. Her mom is very nice- they strike me as the typical southern family complete with cute accents and four wheelers in the garage. Anyway I mulled over it for a week to make sure I really felt good about it and ended up letting her go. I dropped in just before bed time to give her medicine and one last chance to come home but she was so happy and excited, I knew she was in for the long haul. I was nervous tho and slept with the phone on the nightstand, just so I wouldn't miss a middle of the night phone call to come and rescue my little girl. Alas, I wasn't needed after all.

I wasn't sure if I was glad or not. One more thing to remind me that she is growing up and I have to let go a little bit more. On the plus side, I am feeling better about letting the kids stay for a week with family while Mike and I go to the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Lenna's 1st sleepover went so well!! Hooray for Lenna! Don't worry - your precious little ones will be well taken care of so that you can enjoy your time at the beach =)

Lauren in GA said...

I laughed at you saying that the man in the waiting room was talking way too much...that kind of thing happens to me, too...like there is a sign on my forhead that says, "Please, BOTHER me I don't mind..." I totally agree...waiting room time is precious, providing Brian, I mean, um...small children are not with you.