Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Groundhog completely missed the shadow

It is spring here in Georgia. The grass is growing, Lenna picked her first dandelion of the year, and the pollen is blowing! I love spring. It is like waking up after a long nap. The winter weather was a nice break from the Georgia heat, but I am done with gray skies and brown lawns and naked trees!


Andrew's homework is to collect twigs to decorate the letter T with tomorrow at school. We were out hunting through the grass- there is a few advantages to un-landscaped yards!- to pick up all the little sticks we could find when I noticed that two of our trees are starting to bud! Hooray! It won't be long before we can sing the popcorn song each day as we walk to the car.


I am going to bring in a branch or two to show my class and teach them "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree." One thing I really love about young children is their sense of wonder. Everything is new and exciting and completely fascinating to a young child. Give them a rock, a stick, and a magnifying glass, and they are set for hours. The months of March and April we are learning about spring- St. Patrick's Day, Easter, rainbows, clouds, bugs, flowers, etc. Those are my favorite things to teach about. I love presenting something new to the kids and then listening to them discover the amazing things nature (or Heavenly Father, depending on if they are my kids or school children) can do.


I took a picture of our first flower of the year. It popped up right next to our first fire ant nest of the year! Go figure. At least the blossoms are pretty!

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

That is a great thing about Georgia...Spring comes early! :)

You are so funny, "a few advantages to un-landscaped yards" Great way to look at it girlie, cause I am never going to pay to have a yard landscaped!