2 more of myself, that is. Today I am really being pulled in three directions. Lenna is home sick from school today with the flu and a double ear infection. Andrew would be home as well if he had school, he has the same flu minus the ear infection (so far) and a really nasty cough. So they are both here sick, and I am trying so hard to get through my to-do list on this last day of vacation. I have made very little progress with all that has been going on and spending the entire day yesterday at the clinic and pharmacy.
I need one of me to get through all of the busy work- load the dishawasher, keep the laundry going, mop the floors, get the towel racks up in the bathroom, put away mountains of laundry, and so forth.
I need a double to hang out with Lenna, who is feeling sick and needy and asks me every five minutes to go and play with her or paint with her, or do a craft with her. I know she is home and bored and needs some extra attention, so I feel guilty every time I have to tell her to wait. Which brings in the requirement for the thrid mom to keep a constant eye on Andrew. Who is also feeling sick and bored and needy, which translates into mischief! Not on purpose, it just seems to happen.
Yesterday Lenna wanted to paint, so I let her get out the watercolor pens. She made a very cute little book about a dream she had. Andrew painted blue streaks on every wall, counter, and door from the office to the kitchen table. He brought me a color and asked me to open it. After the third color he got tired of just walking, so he decided to paint the wall as he went. FYI, blue watercolors wipe off glossy painted door casings, counter tops, and chairs. They do NOT wash off matt finish textured walls.
This morning Lenna was coloring, I sat with her and we did a project. Andrew came to join us fresh off a detective show. He found a brown marker (the only one in the house not banned ot the top of the fridge, and he found it!) and procedded to make a trail leading in twists and turns and loops in a giant circle through every room of the house. The exchange went something like this:
Me, looking up from Lenna's paper "Andrew! What are you doing!"
Andy, looking completely innocent "Making a trail to follow. If you follow the clues, you will find the thing you lost!" He begins re-tracing his steps using a magnifying glass from and I-spy book.
Me- "You aren't supposed to put marker trails on the hardwood! You will have to help me clean it up." I hand him a MR Clean eraser and I follow with the mop. He gives up halfway through and then cries as his creation disappears under the mop strokes of his very mean mother.
If it wasn't cold and wet outside, and they both weren't fighting the flu, I would give them some sidewalk chalk and let them cover the driveway and deck and sidewalks with chalk trails. But what can I do until then? I found a yarn ball and let him wind it all over the house. You can barely walk, but at least it can be rolled up and won't require a trip to Home Depot to remove.
You see, I need three of me. One to be the housekeeper, one to entertain Lenna, and one to follow Andy around, who can entertain himself but needs a constant chaperone.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
I'll take 2 to go, please
Posted by Jannet at 10:45 AM
Labels: Andy, Being the Mom, Lenna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Hey! I like the new look of your blog...it looks like SPRING!
Oh, man...I love the title of this post...may I put in an order for at least one more of myself, too.
You are so funny...I laughed at your comment about not needing a trip to Home Depot to clean up the yarn. Sorry, I know it isn't funny...but, your writing style is so witty that I can't help but chuckle. I'm a bad friend like that.
Post a Comment