Wednesday, November 19, 2008

102 Things- part 1

I have been having little tidbits running through my head the past couple of weeks that I thought would make good posts. Unfortunately my brain has been unable to organize or expand any of them into a coherent post. Instead of just giving up I thought I would just mush them all together into a post anyway, because who could let the 100 post milestone go uncelebrated?
This is technically post 102 so I am going to celebrate by posting 102 random thoughts for your enjoyment, or to just endure, depending on your preference. But not completely random because I am a bit of a control freak so will force some level of organization onto them anyway.

What is that? You already scanned to the end and there was no where near 102 items here when this post popped up on your google reader or into your inbox? Well, what do you expect? I just had a baby- cut me a little slack, ok? There will be 102 by the end of the week I think.

So here we go- 102 things.

10 things I have learned about caring for a newborn that I had forgotten since Andy was born:
1. Babies cry. A lot. For no apparent reason sometimes.
2. Breastfeeding hurts.
3. Umbilical stumps are gross.
4. I hate changing diapers.
5. Never remove old diaper before strategically placing new diaper under baby, unless I am in the mood to change baby clothes and bedding at that time.
6. Baby socks do not stay on tiny feet.
7. These particular socks look a lot like little go-go boots. (photo coming)
8. Everybody loves babies. Cover and hide all tiny parts in public places to keep her from being touched by germy strangers.
9. Even 10 pounds can feel very heavy at 3 in the morning.
10. Motherhood is scary. Very scary.

10 things I learned about childbirth this time around:
11. Every baby is different, despite what I predicted.
12. Insist on due date and weight confirmation before allowing doc to talk you into waiting a week to deliver. They just keep growing when you leave them in, which isn't always a good thing. 13. Epidurals hurt going in (I didn't remember that from the first time)
14. Even if the epidural guy is the best in the hospital and has done thousands of them and has a good bedside manner, he still might botch it.
15. Epidurals that numb you from the hips down are good for the actual delivery. Having to feel all 8 hrs of contractions leading up to said delivery- not so good. Next time aim higher needle guy!
16. Ask for the drugs in the recovery room.
17. My husband is awesome.
18. If you want to freak everybody out in the delivery room, vomit and faint. Lots of people will pay attention to you after that, and then you will never be left alone.
19. I am not as big a wimp as I thought I was.
20. It was totally worth it, even though I am still complaining about it.

10 things I have learned about myself these past two weeks.
21. I really love to sleep. If I ever get kidnapped by terrorists, they will only have to put me in the sleep deprivation room for about 18 hrs before I will crack and tell everything I know!
22. I am smarter than the doctor. Esp when I tell her that my baby has a tear duct issue, the same that first daughter had, and needs it fixed now or needs drops to prevent infection. And when she says not to worry about it and it will clear up by the first birthday and not be a problem until then not to listen. Because I will bring baby home and within days her right eye will be oozing green goop, just like I said it would.
23. I can now be cast as an extra member of the Cullen family for the movie premier and require no eye make-up. These circles are 100% authentic!
24. Breastfeeding and blogging are not mutually exclusive, esp blog stalking. There is so much out there to read at 4 in the morning.
25. I am a lousy baby burper (is that an actual word?). I need help. The whole back patting thing just isn't working.
26. My son grew a foot and gained 30 pounds while I was in the hospital. What happened to my baby boy? And my little girl for that matter? My house is inhabited by noisy giants and a tiny baby.
27. I love Motrin. More than chocolate.
28. I miss my mom and sisters. Motherhood requires intimate female companionship.
29. I love being a stay-at-home mom. I missed it.
30. I am not as bad at this mothering thing as I thought. At least I think so.

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I loved each and every one of these!

Okay, I gleaned some very pertinant information like...uh...your epidural didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? I am so sorry, oh...for pity sake!!!!!!

Sorry about the vomiting and fainting...I have never fainted but I always vomit..without fail.

This was such a great post. I know what you mean...Brian was a 10 pounder but when I came home Adam looked GIGANTIC!!!

Can't wait to see the go-go boots. I am very intrigued ;)