So here's the thing. I was reading about Christmas traditions this week, wondering of course how I could make more work for myself (not really, but it always turns out that way) by instituting some "country of origin" traditions. Then I thought, what is my country of origin? Well, America, duh, but what about before that?
I have a friend whose children celebrate St Nicholas Day, another whose kids hunt for the German pickle ornament, another whose children do Mexican tamales. I was wondering if my kids weren't getting cheated somehow by not having some sort of ethnic celebration (the Kwanzaa and Hanuka days at school don't really count).
So what should we be celebrating? Where am I from? How about Mike? I have the pedigree charts but need something more, so anyone out there who might have some insight, I would love it! I am thinking mish mash of British and Scandinavian? Does Mormon Utah count as a country? How about the South? So we get St Lucia Day, St Nicholas Day, (what do the English people do, or do already copy them?) and what? Green Jell-O and Mac N Cheese?
Where are you from? How do you celebrate? Can I copy you?


2 comments:
I have a blog friend that is Danish and makes Ebleskievers (sp?)
We do the German pickle, too, and my boys LOVE it. I want to buy the book, Elf on the Shelf that has the little Elf that comes with it and he supposedly goes back to the North Pole every night and tells Santa how everyone behaves.
We have advent calendars, too and they look forward to those each and every year. They take turns getting to put pieces on each night. I have saved some of the advent calendars from The Friend a couple of years ago (I bet you could look them up online)that have scriptures to read each night and we do that for scripture study for December.
We just steal other countries ideas and call ourself "culturally aware" one fun one is putting out the shoes so that the wise men can leave presents (makes sense, they gave presents to Jesus) Three days before, you send a note attached to a balloon into the sky to tell the wise men what you want and it will reach them. Hey, little odd- but what kid doesn't like to send a balloon into the sky? Also, Mexico does homemade Pinatas with oranges and peanuts inside. They look a little odd, but it is fun to "try" to immulate a star and then hit the crud out of it.
Post a Comment