Today I feel like I am finally ready to have this baby!
What I have done to get ready:
*Pack an overnight bag for each child, complete with meds and specialty toothpaste.
*Pack an overnight bag for myself, including a very cute and photo-worthy going home outfit for baby (better be a girl, or he is going home in pink!)
*Removed baby doll from car seat, swing, and bassinet.
*Charge three sets of camera batteries and bought two extra DVDs for camcorder.
*Practiced buckling car seat into back seat of the car. Tight squeeze, we need a van!
*Set up crib, bassinet, changing table, dresser, swing bouncy seat, and folded three loads of little tiny laundry. I am sure it won't be so fun next time but I enjoyed matching all those tiny socks....
*Removed baby doll again from car seat, swing, and bassinet.
*Made card with phone numbers of extended family so Mike knows who to call after the birth.
*Programed numbers of everyone I know into my cell phone so that I will be able to reach someone if I go into labor and need a sitter or a ride.
*Gave up on removing baby dolls, who now sleep in the bassinet, swing, and car seat. Promised to buy play ones when baby comes so baby doll won't be homeless.
I think I am pretty ready.
Here are some things I wish I had done to prepare for this pregnancy:
*Gone to the gym more, especially to do squats and lunges-my legs ache from squatting to pick things up since I can't bend over anymore, and bicep curls, for easier baby lifting.
*Re-arranged the bedroom furniture to accommodate an extra bed. Our bed is just too small now for Mike, me, baby, and stray child with a nightmare.
*Bought stock in Tums and Hershey, whose profits have gone up the last nine months because of my buying habits.
*Kegels. Definitely should have done more Kegels.
*Put in an in-ground pool for the GA summer.
*Slept, in case I could maybe store some up.
*Widened the doorways- has the door to the closet/bathroom/bedroom always been that narrow?
*Done more research with child-development experts to be prepared to answer the following questions asked by my children:
When is the baby coming (to be repeated every week for 40 weeks, every day the last two weeks)?
How did the baby get in there?
Can it see/hear/smell/feel me doing this? How about this? or this?
How do (insert name of any animal you can think of) make babies?
How will the baby get out? Will it hurt?
Can we trade it in for a brother if I don't like it?
If I poke your stomach really hard will the bubble pop and make it come out?
Can I feed it my cheerios?
Can I take her for show and tell for my birthday?
Will she want to play with my toys? DO I have to share?
Can I feed it a bottle? How do you make baby milk? Will I?
Where will I go when you have a baby? What if we are trick-or-treating/at school/on a field trip/in the store/at church/sleeping (insert any other imaginable scenario here) what will you do?
Do they all look that squished up and yucky like the one in the book?
Can I take a bath with her?
Can she wear my doll's clothes?
How long until she will crawl/walk/talk/eat/play/sit up/play cars with me?
Can I sleep in your hospital bed and use the remote? Can I have breakfast in bed, too?
Can we all just sleep there with you?
Do babies really only eat, poop, cry, and sleep all day long?
I don't have to touch the diapers do I? I don't want to get poop on me.
Will she throw up on me?
Where do belly buttons come from? Does it hurt?
Mom, where is your belly button?
Mom, do you think you can get any bigger without breaking?
Mom, how did you get those neat purple stripes on your belly? Can I have some?
Mom, do you think that you will even fit in the gate to the park? I bet you are way too big for the seat belt on the rides, so you better stay here.
Mom, do all pregnant moms walk so slow?
Why can't you pick me up, carry me up the stairs, hold me on your lap, carry my bike up the hill, tie my shoes, use the dustpan, or lift me onto my top bunk anymore?
How much longer until we have a new brother, too?
I guess there is always the next one....
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Getting Prepared
Posted by Jannet at 8:26 PM
Labels: Baby, Being the Mom, Rebecca
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I liked, "Can you get any bigger without breaking?" Kids...you gotta love 'em!
I especially like the one about making baby milk and will I? And what is it that is so fascinating about remotes? Maybe the fact that we can never find them? You are hilarious Jannet. So creative. Those are a lot of questions, to which I'm sure you gave wonderful replies. I Will always be impressed with the kind of mom you are from the plane ride to Las Vegas at Christmastime. YOU ARE A GREAT MOM! Good luck when the big day arrives!
Post a Comment