Today I am home alone. Probably for the last time in a very long time.
Today is my day off from work, and tomorrow will be my last day there. I am sad about it, but at the same time I am ready to come home and be a mommy to our new baby. I will put all the preschool lessons to good use by doing a home preschool with Andy the rest of the year.
Anyway, I had nothing to do today out of the house, Andy has a day-long play date, and Lenna is at school (sort-of, on a field trip actually). Not that I have nothing to do, my list of things to do today is longer than my arm. But I get to do it at home in comfy clothes and on my schedule.
Even while pushing the mop around the kitchen and folding laundry, it is nice to do it without having to stop every two minutes to answer a question or fill a juice cup or change the channel. And I can do it with a movie I want to watch in the background (today it is Rebecca for book club tonight) or while listening to a CD with no cartoons on the cover. I will admit to staying in my pjs on the couch until 10:30. I haven't watched daytime tv in about three years- I really didn't miss much from what I saw this morning.
R calling to ask about book club reminded me that it is tonight in my house, and I was suddenly motivated to get going and turn my living room from a toy/laundry/book/Halloween junk dumping ground into a place suitable for an adult gathering. So far, so good. And if you are a local reading this, please come tonight at 8. Even if you haven't read the book (you should, it is really good) you can watch the good parts with us on DVD, I will make pumpkin cookies, and you can help me feel all my cleaning wasn't a waste of time and ease the sure-to-come feelings of rejection I will feel if no one shows.
So here is to time home alone, even if I have to spend it with the mop.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Home Alone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
LOL Jannet! Isn't funny how we wish so much for time alone, and then when you actually get it, you really don't know what to do with it.... =) I've been at that spot many times over the years. Your post captures a lot!
Oh, I know what you mean in that it is amazing how much time goes into having to fill a juice cup or answer questions, change channels, etc. :)
At least a mop does what we say, right? ;)
Post a Comment