Monday, October 27, 2008

Primary Program

Yesterday was the annual primary program. For the first time since having children in primary I watched from the congregation instead of from a supervisor seat on the stand. It is a much better view! I knew it would be good when I was teary before the end of the opening song.

Lenna was so proud to be going up. I had to change seats a few times to get a good view of her dear face because she was seated behind the organ. I was so glad I did- it was nice to be able to make eye contact during each song, it helped her feel confident enough to sing a little louder and made her smile that beautiful toothless grin! She had her part memorized and confidently marched right up to the microphone to say her line. She was busy practicing her songs all week. She made me very proud!

My children do not yet share my fear of public speaking- I hope that they never do. Right now, they anxiously await the arrival of their urn to do anything at the microphone- pray, give a primary talk, sing a song, you name it they will do it! I am so glad, and pleased with their self-confidence that allows them to fearlessly step out in front of the crowd.

Of course, sometimes it would be nice if they would sit down in front of the crowd! Andrew took his role as a front-row sunbeam very seriously. You know the role, the job of entertaining the crowd if the speakers lag or songs take too long to get started. His class was the first up to the microphone. They all did a god job preparing for their parts, most of them even had their little line memorized. There is something really special about hearing a three or four year old child stand confidently in front of hundreds of people and say with conviction, "I am a child of God!" It brought tears to my eyes. Not be outdone, my son followed with his own line. He first filled his role as entertainer by making sure the adult next to him was very aware (and thanks to the mic, so was everyone else) that "I don't need any help!" then he delivered his line (without any help!)and proudly marched down the steps back to his seat, where he gave me a happy thumbs up!

That was about where he finished following the prepared script. You see, someone had taken his seat next to his best buddy, and there was nothing that is teacher could do to get him to sit in another one. He defiantly stood at the front with his arms crossed and lip out for about three songs before she realized the problem and moved him over. Then of course, he refused to stand at all for the singing, stubbornly perched on that little chair with his hands over his eyes, so that no one could take his seat again. Finally with about ten minutes to go, he took advantage of the distracted teacher and made a run for it to my seat. Well, it was his first try, at least he said his lines!

I love primary program day, I think it is one of my favorite Sundays of the whole year. Aside from the distractions, I really love sitting there and feeling the spirit. As I think back, all my significant testimony confirming moments of the past few years have occurred in primary. There is something about the innocence and purity of their little hearts that makes it an effective conduit for the Holy Ghost to do his job. I am starting to enjoy my time in Relief Society again, but do miss primary!

1 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Both of your kiddos did such a fabulous job! They are amazing ☺

I love Lenna's toothless grin...it is so lovely!

I adored how Andrew made sure his teacher knew he could deliver his line without assistance :)