I always complain about no one ever telling me anything until it is forever past, so I thought I would stick my news here. I know everyone is too far away to do anything but pray, so that is what I will ask for.
Anyway, Mike was out working in the yard yesterday trying to get the weeds and overgrown flower beds under control because his prideful wife was complaining her friends were coming over and would have to bring machetes to get up the front walk because it had been so long since anyone had pulled the weeds or cut the grass. I should have just gone out and done it myself, and not worried about what the doctor would say about going into labor two weeks early or the athsma attack I usually get when I am outside and the grass gets cut.
Anyway, after about three hours of labor I went outside to tell Mike that lunch was ready and found him sitting in the middle of the yard not moving, having trouble breathing and complaining of chest pain. He debated for a few minutes about what he should do but after nearly collapsing in the shower he agreed to let me drive him to the ER. I called a friend from church to meet us there and take the kids.
After several hours and lots of tests they decided that he was not having a heart attack (hooray!) but had no idea what happened or how to fix it (frustrating). They kept him there for about five hours until his breathing returned to normal and his heart rate lowered to normal. They sent him home to take his regular meds and get some rest and see if his regular doctor could do anything for him on Monday.
it is scary to have to take someone you care about to the emergency room and not know what is going on. I was so grateful that I had someone to call who would drop everything and drive 20 minutes to come get my kids and keep them indefinitely, so that I could focus all my worrying energy on Mike instead of keeping them busy or wondering if they were being fed or felt safe. I was not grateful to the doctors who treated everything so routinely, not bothering to answer my questions or come back when the alarms started going off or anything like that. It might have been their fiftieth heart attack scare this week, but it was our first! I just wanted to cry out of frustration!
A good thing to come out of this- we are now on the ward radar screen. It didn't occur to me that the friend I called was the wife of someone in the Elder's Q presidency. But my home teachers called this morning, the bishopric pulleld me aside after conference this morning, and the YM president sitting a row in front of us has a bunch of deacons with weed wackers on call. Mike really hasn't been able to touch the yard since spring, with allergies and the agonizing pain of just pushing a mower but would never let me call anyone to take care of it. At least now he is willing to let someone help. I think it helped that his mom offered to call the bishop for us and get the elders over. I know the yard thing doesn't seem like a big deal but in GA the plants can grow over your head in less than a month and you have to keep at it all year long. If it gets too out of control the kids start showing up with mysterious rashes and such.
Anyway, that was our adventure. I think everything will be ok. i just wanted to let you know!
Jannet
Sunday, October 5, 2008
ER's and EKG's
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I had no idea your hubby even had any health concerns. Mine doesn't have an excuse as to why our lawn doesn't get mowed. I threatened to cut it myself when all the neighbors were outside, so they would think he was rotten and a horrible husband- but he laughed. I hate it when he laughs and I am being serious. Just know that you have more than one friend that would drop everything to keep your kids indefinitely!
My 1st post didn't seem to keep - luckily I copied it first this time b/c of having problems before.
Jannet - you can't beat yourself up over that! I'm so sorry that you and Mike went thru that this weekend, but extremely relieved that it was not a heart attack!! Lauri suggested he contact Mayo Clinic, which is an excellent thought. That is the only place that has been able to help Heather's Dad at all - and they may be able to do something to help Mike more long term.
We who are far away are very grateful that you have friends to be there for your family, and that could take Lenna and Andy right away for you Saturday! I'm glad that you are getting help for the lawn care - I think that is the best thing that you can do. Let us know how things go - we'll all be talking to you both!
Love you all!
Jannet!!!!
Oh, NO!!! I am so sorry!!! How SCARY!!!
Please know you can call us, too... if something like that happens again! I say that and I realize that you called a little while ago about your car. I didn't get the message until late that night...sorry, I didn't call back. I guess that doesn't make my track record very good for being reliable, does it...but, please call if you need anything.
Post a Comment