Before you start, this is a whiny post. Get out now while you still can, or keep reading but don't say I didn't warn you.
I am a bad playdate partner. I am terrible at having people over. You want my kids over, great. They are yours anytime. I will even deliver them to you. But I rarely let my kids have friends over. I am in serious playdate debt to about five families in the area who routinely have mine over to play but whose children have yet to grace my kitchen floor with their footprints.
Why? Lots of reasons. For one, I am shy. It takes a great deal of effort for me to pick up the phone and call someone. I get nervous having to leave voice mail messages for Mike even. It's bad, so I hate having to call other parents. I can do it in person, but not on the phone. I don't know why. So it is either spur of the moment pick up at school or in the church foyer. Don't ask me to call you later please. I probably won't.
The other reason is that my house is a disaster. No, I won't post pictures. That is something I am not willing to share with the world just yet. There is very little room to play in the bedroom, as most of the floor is covered with toys. Our living room doubles as a playroom but until just this week (get ready, shocking confession) has been inhabited by Christmas trees. I would send them outside but it is freezing, and by the time it warms up the yard will be overtaken by fire ants and poison ivy. So I am reluctant to have children over. Not that children are the problem, they usually don't seem to care about the clutter or the dust as long as there is a good quality snack and a wide selection of interesting toys. But such children usually come with parents, and well- I am sure you understand.
Here is the problem. You know that piece of advice everyone always gives to new moms, or working moms, or college students, or whatever. Usually some version of "Do what is most important and let the rest go," or "Your children won't remember if the floor was mopped or the shelves dusted, but they will remember if you read to them or played with them."
I HATE that advice. I want to throw the phone when someone tells me that after I have just told them how overwhelmed or frustrated I feel about the condition of my surroundings. I am not the kind of person who feels at home surrounded by piles of laundry, or prefers wrinkled skirts, or doesn't notice the crumbs on the floor and the dust on the shelves. In fact it makes me downright uncomfortable. But I have been heeding the above advice for about four years, and I am about sick of it.
First it was because we moved to GA, 600 miles from closest family, 3,000 miles from what I called home. The transition was rocky. Our apartment was too small, there was no storage, Mike was just sarting a high stress job with odd hours. So I did what I could, he helped when he could, and tried to make the best of the storage boxes left in the living room.
Then we bought a house- all space issues solved! I started working 2 months later, before I really had the chance to get organized and settled like I wanted, Mike started taking classes full time after work, and our car started on what turned out to be a chronic problem of dying at just the wrong time. Mike proved to be allergic to anything growing so the yard got neglected. Andy hated preschool and Lenna hated kindergarten and we all had adjustment issues. So we "did what needed to be done" and left the rest.
Then I got pregnant, then I wasn't, then I was. And it sucked. Then Mike got sick and couldn't be fixed, and chronic pain kept him from doing anything but sitting and plastering on a neutral face while tolerating intolerable pain. And when it came down to "prioritizing" we settled on clean clothes, clean laundry, and food. The rest was neglected. After I whined enough he tried tackling the yard work and ended up in the ER. I was given the choice of quitting my job early or spending my"off hours" in a reclined position, so we really had to scale back to doing "just enough to get by".
Then we had a baby. And no one has adjusted. Lenna cries at the drop of a hat, Andy is always angry, and Mike winces when he has to pick up the baby. Did I mention he lost his job, too, and that several miles of government red tape are keeping him from the new one? And me, well, I am writing this post. And barely holding it together.
I wait for the moment when I can turn off the lights and not see what two years of "just the essentials" has left in every corner. I pray that the car won't break down, the baby will stop crying, that Mike will heal or at least find a useful treatment approved by the restrictive government HMO, that Andy won't grow into a delinquent, and that Lenna's heart won't break the next time the obnoxious seven yr old down the street tells her that her room is so messy that the police are going to come and take her away to foster care (self preservation note: it isn't dangerous or neglectful, just a toy explosion from combining two bedrooms into one to make room for a crib).
And so I ask you, how long can a family survive on "just getting by?" Because it isn't working so great over here. And what can I do to get to that other place, beyond just the essentials? Remember, you can't tell me to just do the important stuff and let the rest go, because the rest is taking over to the point that I can't get to the important stuff either. And please don't show up on my door with storage bins and a mop. I won't let you in, it would be too humiliating.
And yes, I know I need help. And I am getting it- but therapy and medication won't put more hours in the day to get the mopping done, or make the baby stop crying, or rake the leaves, or fold the clothes, or fix the car, or file a years worth of papers, or heal the tiny broken hearts that have been so neglected recently. And although I am confident that it will help me to get up and going during the day, instead of wanting to curl up in ball and put my hands over my ears whenever the baby cries or the kids need dinner, it won't put the toys away or vacuum the rug.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Help
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Jannet,
You and I are a lot alike, is all I have to say. I never let people come over becasue my house is a veritable trash heap. People tell me all of the same advice (about children not caring) but I can't deal with it...I know the moms that drop their kids off for play dates would be mortified. The other day Adam had a nervous collapse because he never gets to have, "friends" over. We asked him through his sobs who he wanted over and he just kept sobbing, "friends!!!!".
The nausea has been more intense lately and my kids are having to, "raise themselves" in the afternoons. I feel like we are just getting by, too and I don't know what to do about it, either. I have no excuse, either...my kids are in school all day!!!! Further confirming my suspicions that I am a loser.
Uh...sorry about that...I am having some hard days lately.
I am so happy about the therapy and medication, though. Please, don't take this as me being patronizing but I know that was hard. It will work. It takes time but it will ease the feelings of hopelessness. I know it will. It did for me, anyway.
Throw the toys away. Seriously. Buy three baskets, one for each kid and have them pick out what stuff they want to save and it all has to fit in that basket. Then either toss it or put it into storage far far away.
Take pictures of school/art projects, then toss it away.
Every time you throw something in the trash, that's the last time you have to pick it up.
Just know you are definately not alone in this situation. I read a book by Sandra Felton titled "Living Organized:proven steps for a clutter free and beautiful home" She explains the differences b/w 'cleanies' and 'messies' and how they are psychologically different. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see it wasn't b/c I was just 'lazy'. While my house is still a mess I know that it is something I CAN change. I hope you can check out the book. I got it from the library. I see it is no longer at our library (it was falling apart when I check it out) You can have it sent from other PINES libraries though.
By the way, if you start feeling bad about the Christmas trees in your house then just drive by mine. You will still see the pumpkins on the front porch from Halloween! :)
hey Jannet i agree with abs three baskets one for each that's what we did and it helps a lot! also pick one room each week and work on that one room it might take you 2 months but it will get done and the baby crying sometimes babies cry and you can't fix them let her cry she will survive. also tell mike to help if her isn't working let him take care of Rebecca unless it nursing he can do the rest it might not be the exact way you do it but he'll learn. if i had money for a plane ticket i would seriously come help you even though you say you wouldn't let me in.and to all those people who say do the leave the rest no do not leave the rest if it bothers you fix it. have the kids help you, make it a family project once you get it organized it will get better and be easier to keep clean. but seriously make the kids help if they don't pick it up bag it up and give it to good will they'll learn and clean up when you ask. good luck call me if you need to.
Jannet, not even superwoman can do all of that on their own. Your frustrations closely echo those I've had over the past three years-only it's a much more eloquent echo. I'm noticing a couple of similarities. Let me help...I know you won't let me in...but if you could find one person who you would let help you, I'll pick up your kids for a couple of hours so you begin to get a handle on all the household things that are adding to your stress. Really, some things we're not meant to go through and do alone...I'm calling you tomorrow to schedule a time.
Jannet, you are so not alone in your feelings. I remember my VT telling me it would get better, and the kids would be easier when they were older. I was so sad from that because I didn't want to wait, I wanted to love and enjoy life in that time and place! I can say that having a cluttered house makes me crazy, and even if it isn't the most important thing, (and it's not!) it is important for my peace of mind to have some semblance of order around me.
One thing that I started doing was setting a timer. I would say, ok, the baby is fed and changed, everyone is fine, I will set the timer for 15 minutes and work like a demon for that amount of time. Then cranked up some happy music and went to work. Sometimes it would motivate everyone around me to see me sing and work. Sometimes it didn't. But it was a kick start for me. At night before bed, we would do the same, only set the timer for 5 minutes, and everyone worked in the same room so it was more fun.
Another thing we did that worked was in the evening, we went into each room and each person had to pick up as many things as their age (not the parents-we just kept going) so the 7 year old picked up 7 items, the 4 year old picked up 4. Most times if we tried to keep it positive it worked, it did get hard by the time we were in the 4th room. :)
You're not alone-- let people in to help! We all have our hidden embarrassments, sharing it can free us from it.
Janet,
It's sandra's friend again.on sandra's blog she has a link to tip junkie. on it they have a recent post on children's orgainization, it is really good. It would be a good starting spot. Best of luck
I love your posts! (even the ones you say are whiny) I find it refreshing that you can blog about real life and not just have a "brag blog" of the best of family moments. I'm sure you would feel better if you took a look at my house right now! I hope you feel better soon-kudos to you to get some help when you need it.
-Take it or leave it-my advice about a messy house (and its time to take my own advice again) is to box it up and get it out of sight, if just for an appearance of clean. Once most of the mess is gone then I can vacuum, and mop and every so ofter tackle one box at a time, most of which just needed to get tossed anyway.
Hi Janet! I love blogging - especially when I meet new blog friends! I'm so glad you found my blog - we are working together thru the crazies of life. What a cute family you have! We can do it! JOY
Jannet you will make it. You are awesome and an incredible mother. And on a personal note: yeah, sometimes life is way too hard (and on the really bad ones, I usually ditch church)
Post a Comment