Wednesday, January 7, 2009

soccer sign ups

Ok fellow Georgians (I know this cross-posts to my family site and auto-emails to the far corners of the earth. Sorry. I know you have nothing to say regarding your program preference. I will forgive you for not commenting on this one.),


Lenna has asked to play soccer this year. I am inclined to honor her request, as this is the first thing she has shown an interest in since asking for a sequined jacket so she could look like Hannah Montana. I'll take the shin guards, please.


Anyway, for those of you have participated in this rite of passage before me, any suggestions on where to sign her up? I think I have three choices:


1. Columbia county at patriots park. costs $60 but is the farthest from my house.


2. Marshall Y- $75 but have to fight the least traffic to get to the AJCC for games.


3. Wilson Y- $75 and distance wise the closest to our house.


Is one program better than the other? Which is the least competitive? What freebies are included? Have a kid you are signing up and want to carpool? What junk will I have to buy?


Thanks for any help you can offer!

3 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

We have done the Columbia County Rec center and you are right...it was so far away it was a nightmare in terms of time on the road to and fro, and gas.

We did the Upward program for basketball for Adam this year and we love it BUT the soccer fields for that church's Upward program are far away, too. (we do Warren Baptist for Upward basketball because the gym is right there in the church and right by our house)....

So...we decided to try the Wilson YMCA for Brian to try soccer this year. They told us that the practices and games should be right there at the YMCA...and that's the closest. The key word being SHOULD...I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Suzanne did YMCA soccer when she lived here and seemed to love it and Davin Anderson was Micah's coach at YMCA last year for soccer so they would know a lot about the program, too.

Thanks for your congrats on my blog ☺!

Anonymous said...

Brandon wants to sign up as well. So I am eager to hear what others have to say.
The other day I asked Brandon which he would like to do - karate or soccer. He said "both" I said "we can only afford to do one" "Why? It doesn't cost money." "Yes, honey, it does. "WHAT?!"
If only it were FREE!!!

Suzanne said...

We did the Y when we were there. I didn't even look around for other programs because we already belonged to the Y and we didn't even think about it. As Y members we got a discounted rate. It is true (at least it was then) that everything was right there at the Y, all the practices, all the games. The only thing was that we did have to decide as a team that we wanted trophies for the kids, so we paid for those at the end. Our coach did the work to order them and everything. I think they were $8. But I really had no complaints. Hope that helps!