Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
I do believe there is a little Irish in us. We always had corned beef and cabbage and boiled potatoes for St Patrick's Day at home when I was a kid. I have made it for my family as well but didn't remember on grocery day this week, so we are doing without. Hopefully green mashed potatoes will fill the need for festive food.
Anyway, we were looking for green this morning and I was amazed at nature's paintbrush. I can honestly say that when looking from any window in the house I can easily discern at least five different shades of green. Upwards of ten if it is a larger window. The pollen makes things difficult, but there are advantages to residing in the Garden City.
I tried to take a picture for you but my little point and shoot camera, shooting through a window due to a congested and fussy hold-me-all-day-long baby, just could not do the job. I will keep trying.
It has been raining here in conjunction with the arrival of spring, so the grass is covered with a layer of mist and fluffy with new growth, the trees are blooming and budding, and every growing thing seems to be awake this morning. There are about ten different trees out my front window, each with their own unique contribution to the canopy of green. The two different grasses in the lawn plus a large variety of weeds are making the ground a nice patchwork, and even the tree trunks have two or three different varieties of moss, ivy, and invading undergrowth to make them festive this morning. The azaleas are flowering white, pink, and red. The irises, daffodils, and tulips planted by the plant-loving previous owners are pushing up through last year's cast-off leaves to greet spring time as well.
We are not Catholic, but today seems like a good day to celebrate spring and the arrival of all things green and to give a grateful nod to the Lord in acknowledgement of His handiwork.
Happy Saint Patrick's Day! I hope yours is a lucky day!



2 comments:
Jannet,
That was beautiful. I am grateful you wrote it. When I look outside I see pollen, bugs and itchy grass and get grumpier. I should be more grateful for the vibrance that springtime brings.
Sorry, Rebecca is still sick. I have had Adam home for 2 days feeling lousy with it. Poor guy.
hello-! I'm always amazed what a fun things you are teaching to kids. I love your writing, too. You are a good writer. I am sorry that your kids are sick. Please let me know if you need a babysitter. Benjamin really misses Andy. He believes that Andy still comes to Haydens on the days that Benjamin's not there. (he only goes on Tuesdays now) Hope that all of your kids are well soon.
Post a Comment