Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Musings

Today, Andrew is sick. I know, that is getting a little old isn't it? Believe me, I am getting tired of that headline, too. Someone tell his immune system.
He has a fever, headache, sore throat, and upset stomach. All he wants to do is lie on the couch and watch tv. And he wants me to do it with him. Who am I to argue. However, I am worried about all of the brain cells that I am losing watching hours of animated cartoons. I need something to focus on besides the musical adventures of Robin Hood the Clean and Mayor Stinkypants. So here I am. I almost felt guilty about writing a random post with five unfinished posts waiting in line to be illustrated and edited before they grace cyberspace with their presence, but then I was conveniently strapped to the couch away from my photos. Rambling it is!
I got a new church calling last week. I was just getting comfortable in RS. Though I think the leadership might be relieved. I always felt like I could never quite measure up to their expectations. So now it is back to primary. I am still not sure how I feel about that. I am teaching Lenna's class again. First, I don't think I am responsible enough to be teaching all of the kids who are getting ready to be baptized. Too much pressure. It was easier when they were four and I could tell myself it was ok if I botched the lesson because they were going to get the same one four more times. Not anymore. And also, I really was telling the same kids that when they were four. Interesting- I taught the same set of kids when they were four and five. Two new faces, but other than that the same. The same ones still have trouble sitting in their chairs but now they can take themselves to the bathroom and take turns reading. I guess there is something or someone I am supposed to learn from that I missed the last time. Hopefully I'll catch it this time around. I hope their parents aren't sick of me.
Last week I went to enrichment meeting. It was pretty low key and had a nice turnout. And a nursery, so I got to go. Rebecca was a bit overwhelmed with the noise and had to spend a few minutes on the sidewalk but otherwise did well. At the end of the meeting someone asked if we could go around the room and introduce ourselves because our ward has a pretty high turnover rate. If you spend six months in primary you will return to a completely new RS group.
Get to the point- I was last. Not a big deal. But I stood in the back and listened to each sister introduce themselves and say something about who they were. "I can sing" "I am a good cook" "I sew and quilt" "I'm into food storage" "I just wrote a book about genealogy" I had nothing to say. I couldn't think of that one thing that would define me. I am good at lots of things. Above average, even. I like to do lots of things. But there isn't anything that I am REALLY into or REALLY good at.
Please don't comment telling me what you think that thing is. I am off to discover it for myself somehow. I just thought in interesting that I will be 30 this year and am still looking to define myself. I am ready to be something besides Lenna/Andy/Rebecca's mom, Mike's wife, or kid #2 of 10. I am ready to learn something more important than the third verse to the hand washing song and go on an adventure that doesn't involve oatmeal or sippy cups. We will see how it turns out. For now the only mountain I am climbing is Mt Washmore- and it is kicking my butt!

2 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I guess I am good at talking about depression. That isn't what I want my talent to be, though. I know what you mean about not knowing how to define yourself.

Hope Andy is feeling better. We keep getting sick here, too. It is relentless.

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Mt. Washmore is kicking mine too-Its time to wash again and the baskets are still half-filled with clean unfolded clothes from last week!
Sorry to hear that Andy's sick-I hope he feels better soon.